Fatties Help

ZBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Guys!!

I was reading the posts about Fatties and the 3,2,1 method. I am going to try some of these here in a few days. They sound delicious.:-D:-D

What I was wondering is, what kind of wood do you use for the smoke? And, do you use a little apple juice when you foil? I was thinking that Pineapple would sound good too.

What about rub? Slather?

What is your favorite sausage for fatties? What rubs or juices would you pair with different flavors like maple, italian?

Thanks in advance,
Neil

Hi Neil! Yes to all of your questions... :-D

Seriously, I think you'll find that we've tried just about everything you've mentioned. Personally, I like the Jimmy Dean Maple, but JD Regular and the Bob Evans brand are also good. I've tried a bunch of different rubs. For the Maple, I like them plain or with a sweet rub. For the others, just about anything goes! Foiling is good, with or without juice, but I usually cook them to 160-165 internal and don't bother with the foil.

As far as wood, I usually cook fatties with something else, so I choose the wood based on the main meat.

Ron_L said:
Hi Neil! Yes to all of your questions... :-D

Seriously, I think you'll find that we've tried just about everything you've mentioned. Personally, I like the Jimmy Dean Maple, but JD Regular and the Bob Evans brand are also good. I've tried a bunch of different rubs. For the Maple, I like them plain or with a sweet rub. For the others, just about anything goes! Foiling is good, with or without juice, but I usually cook them to 160-165 internal and don't bother with the foil.

As far as wood, I usually cook fatties with something else, so I choose the wood based on the main meat.

Pretty much YUP, to everything Ron said.

Fatties started out as an experiment that well, just took off, and a lot of us are still experimenting. I believe, I’ve even seen posts about injecting some of the larger ones.
The original idea was to cook up some fatties as a snack food while waiting for the main course to get done. Then all of a sudden it was, cooking up some fatties for future use as breakfast, sausage biscuits, etc. They freeze pretty well too.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they got their own category in some competitions.
Just have fun, enjoy, and tell us how they turned out, and share what you did to them.

OK guys, please pardon the ignorance level here. What exactly is classified as a fatty? Is it the roll sausage that not yet cut or is it sausage links in general? I originally was thinging it was pretty much any large sausage but am now thinking along the line of it being a patty type that hasn't been cut up yet.
Help me out here guys, I'm a little greener than I thought I was. Still alot to learn...

JTMcD.

A fatty is normaly a 12oz. to 2 pound roll of bulk sausage with no casing.
Jimmy Dean, Evan's, a lot of brands.

The smaller links have a different name in Tejas.
I'll let one of those fellows splain that one.

JohnMcD348 said:
OK guys, please pardon the ignorance level here. What exactly is classified as a fatty? Is it the roll sausage that not yet cut or is it sausage links in general? I originally was thinging it was pretty much any large sausage but am now thinking along the line of it being a patty type that hasn't been cut up yet.
Help me out here guys, I'm a little greener than I thought I was. Still alot to learn...

JTMcD.

I THINK that most of us are using the 1# or 2# plastic wrapped sausages when we refer to Fatties.
But, the "fattie" techniques could be applied to almost any type of large sausage logs, I guess.
The tiny breakfast sausages have picked up the "Puppy Peter" moniker whether cooked alone or stuffed into peppers or whatever :wink:

We really don't have a definitive "Brethren Dictionary".....yet :-D

TIM

I don't rub fatties often, and not too much when I do. Something with enough sugar in it to crust up, sorta like the crust you get when you fry patties.
I don't 3-2-1 or wrap (i've tried it and it's ok) but the meat is ground doesn't need the foil time for tenderness and removing when done keeps the product moist.

Italian fatties are great crumbled into red sauce for pasta or in a lasagna recipe.
Like most here, I'm partial to JD hot, and maple is very good too. Cheap store brands can be any thing from great to awful, you just have to try them and see.
For juice, I guess you could use about anything, but you cant' go wrong with apple on pork. Start with that and experiment as you go. Have fun with it, even mistakes taste great on a biscuit!

Probably take a flogging for this but they don't do much for me. :confused:

I do not use any rub or juice when I foil.

I like all different kinds of sausage the wife likes Owens Italian Sausage. I put one everytime I fire up the smoker.

first fattie this morning

I bought a log of bob evans maple, put just a dusting of rub on it and put it on the top shelf of my smoker. Then i put a shoulder on the next rack down.
Took it off after 3.5 hrs (pecan smoke). Was awesome! kids loved it. I think i'd go with regular or hot next time though as was a tad on sweet side for me, but still delicous. The shoulder's still cooking :)

brdbbq said:

Uhuh, Your right for once, Flog, Flog, Flog. :twisted: :twisted:

You can do what ever you want to a fatty. They are probaly one of the easiest and most versitile meats to cook. But just remember this one thing, one of the best things about them is you don't even need to do a thing to them and the come out great, as long as you don't over cook them. I also reccomend using a quality sausage. JD is my personal favorite.

Bigdog said:
You can do what ever you want to a fatty. They are probaly one of the easiest and most versitile meats to cook. But just remember this one thing, one of the best things about them is you don't even need to do a thing to them and the come out great, as long as you don't over cook them. I also reccomend using a quality sausage. JD is my personal favorite.

Again YUP!!! to what Mr. Bigdog says

cabo said:
Again YUP!!! to what Mr. Bigdog says

Shouldn't that be WOOF! ?

One addendum to my earlier post... I did find a couple of JD fatties that I didn't really like. The new JD Seriously Bold and Sderiously Hot. The Bold had too much seasoning and it was overpowering, and the hot was too hot (I like hot stuff, but I also like to taste the sausage flavors).

My personal preference.. I like the Jones Breakfast fattie or the Parks much better. They are both a finer grind. Not to thrilled with the course grinds of the Jimmy Deans and I'm with Brian, they do much for me..I do them more out of "tradition" than anything else and them let others enjoy them.

Now.. smoked Johnsonville links, or small breakfast links.. i can eat pounds of them.!! On a biscuit.... with gravy.......oh man, now im hungry.

Thanks guys!!

I think I am going to start with Bob Evans because that is what our family uses primarily. GOing to try the regular and the maple. Maybe a little TexasBBQRub.

Oh heck, I'm just going to tinker with it and see what happens!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh, almost forgot, what temps do you guys use in the smoker? 225-250? or higher?

BTW, boatnut, Nice to see another Ohioan!! Where you from?

Later ,
Neil

BBQchef33 said:
My personal preference.. I like the Jones Breakfast fattie or the Parks much better. They are both a finer grind. Not to thrilled with the course grinds of the Jimmy Deans and I'm with Brian, they do much for me..I do them more out of "tradition" than anything else and them let others enjoy them.

Now.. smoked Johnsonville links, or small breakfast links.. i can eat pounds of them.!! On a biscuit.... with gravy.......oh man, now im hungry.

Pooh, How could ya??:eusa_clap
Well I’ll give ya that, fine grind is better…….BUT sausage biscuits & gravy…. That’s a southern staple….. You’re a Yankee, ok a beloved yankee, but none the less aYANKEE….. That’s kinda like putting Salsa in your chili for Texans……….Uhh!!!! Ok never mind.. I didn’t post this LaLaLaLaLa!!!!! I don’t hear you!!!!!!!!!!!:oops: :oops: :oops:

cabo said:
Well I’ll give ya that, fine grind is better…….BUT sausage biscuits & gravy…. That’s a southern staple….. You’re a Yankee, ok a beloved yankee, but none the less aYANKEE….. That’s kinda like putting Salsa in your chili for Texans……….Uhh!!!! Ok never mind.. I didn’t post this LaLaLaLaLa!!!!! I don’t hear you!!!!!!!!!!!:oops: :oops: :oops:

"Let not your heart despair"!
He is a Yankee and will never understand real food--like Fatties crumbled into white or red-eye gravy on homemade biscuits--for real "Biscuits and Gravy".
His version is just a "fluke"! A "local abberation" :lol:

He is still a good guy.
Just needs to "get out" more :lol:

TIM

Chocolate and Vanella

brdbbq said:

It is OK if you do not like fatty's. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla. Food is a matter of choice and not everybody chooses the same food. My granddaughter loves the fatty's but the rest of the family usually only eats a slice on the side. Kind of like a hot link. I have also been experimenting with fatty's. Yesterday we were going to grill steaks on the Weber. Well, my granddaughter asked for a fatty. So, I decided to see if you could cook a good fatty on the Weber. Started the fatty's long before I put on the steaks and they turned out great. I didn't use any rub or mopp. Just let them sizzle and rolled them often to make the heat even and avoid burning.

cabo said:
Hey cabo,us beloved yankees can still make some kick ass bbq! I learned from you southern boys, through books, t.v. and the like. I'd love ta' have ya' up here to michigan anytime!!!:roll:

Back