How far have you traveled to buy a smoker?

jonnymac

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Jon
I'm new to this site but I have been BBQing for the past 15 years or so. I started with a super cheap Brinkman from Home Depot, then a Cabela's propane smoker, and then went to a WSM. Those three steps happened in about a year and I've been using the WSM since.

For the past couple of years I've been kicking around the idea of getting a stick burner and I think I'm getting close to making the leap. I definitely want something on a trailer so I can use it at events for friends/family. I don't want to haul my WSM in my 4runner because I want to keep the smell and dirt out. My problem is from what I see is there are not a lot of options here in PA. Meadow Creek seems OK but maybe slightly overpriced for what they are.

Ideally I'd like to save some cash and get a used but in good condition cooker. Again the problem is it seems there isn't a lot here in that market in PA.

I'm just wondering how far others have driven to buy such a cooker. Am I crazy to be thinking about making a multi day/overnight trip?

Most manufacturers will ship and you can sleep inb your own bed. Yes, it adds to the cost, but compare to the cost of gas, food, hotel, wear on your vehicle, and then decide. Back in 2012, i had my Klose delivered to Mn, no issues at all.

jonnymac,

Like you, I started out many, many years ago with a COS Brinkman Professional. What an abuse of the term "Professional", LOL. Although it was nothing short of an albatross; however I leaned a lot and I was able to make modifications to the unit to get acceptable smoked food.

The shortcomings of the COS helped me realize what I didn't want in my next smoker, and what items that I would like to add. After 2 years of research into the different smoker manufacturers, I settled on what that fit both my needs and wants.

With bad knees and a bad back, I opted to have it delivered to my backyard. I highly suggest this option unless the manufacturer is in a surrounding town. Like mentioned above; time, comfort, expenses (food, fuel, lodging, tolls), and wear & tear on the vehicle - this just wasn't worth the time and effort for me. But everyone has their own value on time and the use of it. I wouldn't fault anyone for making a long trip to pick-up their smoker, it just wasn't for me.

MN doesn't offer much for smokers. Especially looking for one second hand. I've made a 1,000 round trip down to Kansas City in a day trip for a smoker. I'm heading down again either tomorrow or Sunday for another one. I personally like jumping behind the wheel and going for a ride. Life activities can become a routine so often that I need to go out and do something completely stupid that doesn't always make the most sense. If that means me going to KC for a very basic smoker and a bbq lunch I'm all in.

Last April I did a 1500 mile round trip to Georgia for mine.... Not sure what part of PA you're in, but I live about an hour north of Pittsburgh. 13 hour drive down, spent the night, picked the smoker up at 7:00 AM, 13 hours home... No regrets at all...

I'm new to this site but I have been BBQing for the past 15 years or so. I started with a super cheap Brinkman from Home Depot, then a Cabela's propane smoker, and then went to a WSM. Those three steps happened in about a year and I've been using the WSM since.

For the past couple of years I've been kicking around the idea of getting a stick burner and I think I'm getting close to making the leap. I definitely want something on a trailer so I can use it at events for friends/family. I don't want to haul my WSM in my 4runner because I want to keep the smell and dirt out. My problem is from what I see is there are not a lot of options here in PA. Meadow Creek seems OK but maybe slightly overpriced for what they are.

Ideally I'd like to save some cash and get a used but in good condition cooker. Again the problem is it seems there isn't a lot here in that market in PA.

I'm just wondering how far others have driven to buy such a cooker. Am I crazy to be thinking about making a multi day/overnight trip?

Mason Dixson BBQ Services in Greencastle, Pa. has a lot of great smokers from stick burners to insulated cabinets and everything in between. It’s where I got my smoker from. It was only a 320 mile round trip from Pittsburgh, Pa.

I did about 1000 mile round trip one time but not anymore. It’s just too easy and more time efficient for me to have it shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not a very long one, but this past weekend I drove from Jax-->Orlando to buy a yoder 640. My kamado got smashed in my last move (damn navy movers), and used the money I got back to buy this one, I gotta say though after 3 cooks this week i would have driven all the way to KC to buy it if I had to.

I have done a couple of 1200 mile round trips. I usually find something else interesting to do in the area and make a mini vacation out of it.

MN doesn't offer much for smokers. Especially looking for one second hand. I've made a 1,000 round trip down to Kansas City in a day trip for a smoker. I'm heading down again either tomorrow or Sunday for another one. I personally like jumping behind the wheel and going for a ride. Life activities can become a routine so often that I need to go out and do something completely stupid that doesn't always make the most sense. If that means me going to KC for a very basic smoker and a bbq lunch I'm all in.

Good timing for this thread. I just got back but, not from a smoker or pit trip.

• East Texas to Kentucky to get a tractor but, they sold it before I got there. :mad2:
  • Then to Iowa off I-80 to see a flail and a tractor an hour from the flail.
  • Then to St. Joseph, Missouri for a finish mower.
  • And, back home.

My trip for the Shirley was ~700miles round trip. My WSM's were generally ~300miles roundtrip.

Trips like this are typically combined with 'boondoggles' and various impulse stops along the way like that huge truckstop on I-80 and a random outlet mall place with lots of knives and imported cookware (mainly Henckels related brands).

I've been known to travel to Austin to get groceries (some Julio's chips I can't get locally) so I have an excuse to go to Lockhart for BBQ and West to Slovacek's for some of those Jalapeno and Cheese Kolaches and random link sausages from the cold meat case which is around 400miles roundtrip.

Back