The Raw Brisket Flop Test For Tenderness

Got off track on that last post.........I do the "flop test" also, but don't rely on it, it does make me happy though when I find one that I like and it gives a good flop. I have had some selects from Walmart (that flopped) that cooked up wonderfully.

I've never thought of doing the flop test when picking out a brisket. The thickness of the flat and marbling are the main things I look for. I do enjoy a good wobbly brisket after it's cooked though. :)

The photo below is an untrimmed packer, 16 pounds, Select grade, from Cash and Carry. I have done nothing but remove the cryo.
brisket-folded.jpg

I can tell you that is flopped a little in the overly tight cryo, but, by pressing and lifting it, it had a 'soft feel' to the meat. You sort of have to learn to feel for it. This brisket was cooked for someone else, and the report back, was that after reheating, I had cooled it for transit and due to delays in delivery, the brisket was meltingly tender.

Yeah, I like the flop test myself but I also agree that depending on the tightness of the cryovac, I can't always get a good reading. Seems, however, that even if it doesn't "flop" well, but still feels soft, then once it's unwrapped it'll fold nicely like landarc's photo above.

I read Mr. Biggles' comment some time ago that if you start out with a set of muscles that is already limber, soft and has a yielding texture, then the finish product is likely to be better (providing you don't fark it up during the cook) than a brisket that starts out stiff and rigid.

Face it....the briskets that come out of the large slaughterhouses are from all SORTS of cows (size, age, feed, etc). What OTHER than the flop test and general appearance do we have to go off of in the store?

Just thought of a good description of the raw texture differences in briskets that I have noticed just by squeezing or poking them.

The firmer more dense briskets have a texture similar to a rump roast or eye of round. The softer briskets feel more similar to a chuck or sirloin.

Remember this is the MEAT texture that I am referring to not the fat.

Back