• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
what does "capture it on all thread" mean?
Picture a piece of all thread 1/2" diameter. Nut/washer/round wire brush/washer/nut. Tighten centered in brush hole (hole is 5/8"-11thd.).
Like this.... Brush being drum, allthread being bolt.
IMG_3065.jpg

My hero

Thanks Norco! I'm off to the hardware store after work. Weeeeeee.....

Ok. Wire wheel and cup brush =good! I am having a ball but the wife says my moniker should be "dirty farker" rather then "looking for matches" or whatever it is. I looked like a freakin coal miner last night and I am only half done.

The good news, barrel is looking good and the 95 pages of insight and wisdom here have been more valuable to me then words can describe.

Fatties and Butts soon... I will also have some pictures of the build and my first pron. :icon_bigsmil

Make the first cook greasy! Lay down a good foundation. You'll have this one for awhile.

Ok here is my firebox. The grate is a Weber replacement for a large kettle, 17" diameter. Expaneded metal is 8" tall total. Think I will build a small ring as an insert.
Grate in the background is cooking grate and inside the firebox are the fittings ready for the drum as soon as I burn it out. The inside surface of the drum has some light surface rust. Is it worth time to wire brush it, or should I just burnt it and oil it?
turn and burn brotha
here is my fire box , good for 10+ hours
MySmoker007.jpg

MySmoker008.jpg

How do you put the temp probe wire through the uds so neat & tight?

jed

I have nutsert kit left over from my days as an auto mechanic. I just installed a 1/4" insert and slip the probe through that. Someone sells "grommets" which are similar. I don't remember who, but someone else will chime in and fill in that info.

Thanks BobF, maybe someone else will know where I can get the gromets. I thought to start with ya'll were useing a rivet & drilling it out.

Thanks BobF, maybe someone else will know where I can get the gromets. I thought to start with ya'll were useing a rivet & drilling it out.
Yoy can get rivet nuts at a good hardware store.

My local Meijers store has the Kingsford 22.5 in. grill on sale for $18.oo. I think someone said that these fit better than the Weber lids.

Mike

Joined the board for this thread! Now I just need to find a new drum to start out with. I picked up a couple old military drums but they had mechanical oil in them for jet engines. Going to use those for wood stoves. Thanks for all the info it will surely help in the assembly of my UDS.

Back