Question about adding moisture to ribs

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Something I have been wondering about tenderness scores on ribs... As a cook, where would you start tweaking things to get more moisture in your ribs.. ( btw, my assumption is using spares here )

I am asking this, not because I got bad scores, but more for curiosity/tinkering... For example, I cook my ribs 3hrs smoke, about an hour in foil, then back out of the foil, on the smoker until they pass the bend test... If I didn't get decent scores in tenderness using that method, what should I be looking at to try and get more tenderness/moisture into the ribs.

Were the ribs too tender or not tender enough?

when we were talking about it, we were going under the assumption of not tender enough, so dry...

Ron, where would you add the time, in foil, or in the time after the foil. I was thinking the later, would that be correct thinking?

You could do either. If they are close to perfect then add at the end. If they are farther off then add in the foil.

makes sense. Sometimes when I am cooking mine, I get almost a false sense of doneness when bringing them out of the foil, because they are on the fragile side, from being in the applejuice, so I know personally, I am always leery of that. Thanks for the advice.. I planned on experimenting with some tweaks to my process this summer, and that will help from a troubleshooting perspective...

Back