• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Frozen Comp Pork Butt

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I always use fresh pork butts for comps, I've always been too scared to try a previosly frozen butt. Has anybody or does anybody use previously frozen pork for competitions? How does it do and what do you think the pros and cons would be?
I'm just thinking it would be better to get a case and freeze them then I have them on hand all year.

Thanks

I have not, but have heard several guys say that pork is the only thing they will NOT freeze.

I bet you Ryan's next GC check that the majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between frozen or nonfozen butts. Butts are cheap and people are always willing to pay the cost for the left overs - so cook a frozen butt and one that wasn't and see if you or anyone else knows the difference! Good practice, won't cost you a cent and you'll have your answer!

I have used frozen. I have also scored in and out of the top 10 in pork using frozen and non frozen.

Pros of frozen is if you see good butts you can load up and save money. Cons are if you're not fully defrosted you could be screwed injecting. I honestly can't tell the flavor diffrence between both.

I have not, but have heard several guys say that pork is the only thing they will NOT freeze.

I've heard they same thing but I don't think I've ever heard a reason. Other than the need to thaw and not getting the injection in as Rod says.

have won with frozen butts(1st place pork last contest) but would rather have fresh--just because I guess! probably not much of a difference if your freezer stays very cold

Buzz

No problem with freezing butts if they are in the original cryovac or even repackaged with a Vacuseal, IMO. As said above, just be sure they are completely thawed before use.

The butts I used in Valley Junction were previously frozen Ray. Didn't have a problem with those.

Yeah.. the biggest issues is making sure it is completely thawed before you cook

Yeah.. the biggest issues is making sure it is completely thawed before you cook
Or remember to put your knife down b4 trying to split them apart! Its a long story!

I've used both, and I prefer the fresh ones. I've gotten calls with previously frozen pork, but it seems that it shrinks up more when it has been frozen. I could be crazy though.

Back