Won this...Now What?

HookedonSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I won this on Saturday night. Its a whole bone-in ham that has never been frozen. Now what do I do with it? Will certainly be a first for me.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 265
Throw it in the smoker and cook it.

Add alittle glaze at the end.

That's no good, you should send it to me & I'll dispose of it properly. ;)

Uncooked ham correct? If it's a "green" ham then you can cook it and it'll be like pork roast. Cure it with #1 first and then smoke it if you want pink ham.

I'm thinking I want ham for Thanksgiving instead of pork roast. How long to brine before smoking. This thing is huge! Also, how long to smoke? What temp? What temp is done?

I'm thinking I want ham for Thanksgiving instead of pork roast. How long to brine before smoking. This thing is huge! Also, how long to smoke? What temp? What temp is done?

I would recommend a wet cure with it being injected around the bone.

real simple curing brine:

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)
1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda®
1 cup brown sugar or Splenda® brown sugar mix
1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

Is it already cured or not?

The brine above is a very good brine, I have used it for bacon.

Back