insulating smoker

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I finished my UDS a few months ago and have enjoyed it. I just bought another barrel and will build a second one this spring.

I smoked a turkey today - my first turkey in a smoker. I had a very difficult time keeping the temperatures above 200. The high here in Utah was 42 today and I am sure this had something to do with it. I have read some articles on the internet about ways to keep the smoker warm and decided I would ask the experts. What are some ways to keep the smoker warm and keep the temperatures up inside the smoker?

42 is nuttin for a UDS........ How many intakes and size you got? Exhaust?

I have 4 1 inch holes drilled 2 inches from the bottom. I typically cap 2 of them, but this time they were all open. I have 3 1 inch holes in the lid for exhaust and typically keep one capped. Today I had all 3 open. I started with 2 intakes open and 2 exhaust vents open, then when the temp was low I opened the other vents.

High Winds? How much lit Charcoal do you dump onto unlit? What charcoal you using?

Always run the exhaust fully open for one...other than that with the bottom all open eventually you'll reach 400* if you wanted.

Get the temps up initially by lighting more charcoal ...don't need a bunch usually, 1/4 to 1/2 chimney at the most. Pre heat the drum hotter than your target temp because your meat many times will bring it down.

^ +1 .......

Also keep in mind the turkey is probably a larger mass of meat than what you usually put in it. It takes longer to come to temperature as the turkey is absorbing heat.

If your cooker thermometer is close to the meat you will also get a lower reading.

virtually no wind today. Light drizzle.

I used lump charcoal and the charcoal pan was nearly full. I dumped one chimney starter full of lit charcoal on top.

For my charcoal pan I used the dome of my old Brinkman smoker and drilled holes in it. I attached the legs of the Brinkman smoker and it lifts it about 2 inches off the bottom of the barrell.

Pack you just might need a remod of your basket. Can you post pics of your set up...you're just not getting enough air to the coals. It has nothing to do with your drum itself but the basket imo.

Either not enough air ( maybe dome basket not intakes ) or bad charcoal. Try reg ole KBB or Stubbs Briquets. Does the Dome allow ash to fall thru?

I will post picks tomorrow, too dark and too cold now.

I have used this a few times since building it and the temperature has been great. I did some pork butts for a team dinner for the local football team and it stayed between 225 and 250 for the entire smoke. It was flawless. I have done ribs and they were fine.

Pack you just might need a remod of your basket. Can you post pics of your set up...you're just not getting enough air to the coals. It has nothing to do with your drum itself but the basket imo.
^^^ I'm leaning the same direction. I can vizualize lots of air entering at lower intake holes,enough of it entering the holes in dome/basket to feed a nice fire but the larger quainty of cool air riseing around outside of dome dilutes barrel heat on the way to meat.
You can't beat an expanded charcoal basket. You had plenty air but most was deflected by the dome and never came in contact with charcoal.

As others have said look at your charcoal basket. the air temp got nothing to do with it. I've cook at -45F no insulation with over 100lbs in each @325.

I concur that it isn't entirely the outside temperature. When it is colder you should probably start with more lit charcoal. Maybe your basket isn't allowing the proper airflow to the charcoal. Damp charcoal maybe? At that temp rain may be going in through your exhausts and hitting your charcoal. That is one advantage of the single 2" exhaust with a 90, keeps out a light rain.

Back