Wondering about heat loss

I still think that your firebox is too small. Take a look at this calculator:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Based on the formula from this website, your pit should have a firebox of 20,347 cubic inches. You only provided 2 of the 3 dimensions of the firebox. But, assuming that your firebox is 24"x24"x20", you have a firebox volume of 11,520 cubic inches. So, based on these numbers, your firebox is only 56.6% as big as it should be. A firebox of 28"x28"x26" would be the perfect size.

Is there anything I can do short of ripping the existing firebox and warming box off and fabricating a new one? Because i don't have those skill sets.

OK, great pics, thanks for adding them. Is the exhaust the single square tube or the 2@ crome tubes or both/all? Looks to me like you have your exhust closed or choked down. I suggest you open your exhausts wide open and leave them alone; control your fire with the intakes! I still think its a great lookin pit and you will figure it out!

I was thinking the same thing as dwfisk...they looked closed. dwfisk.....there are actually 2 square exhaust tubes on this smoker. The 2 chrome tubes are for the rear charcoal grill only. I have seen these smokers personally and I cannot see why they would have trouble getting up to temp. Granted, I do not have one and I do not speak from experience...Let us know when you get it figured out though please.

OK, great pics, thanks for adding them. Is the exhaust the single square tube or the 2@ crome tubes or both/all? Looks to me like you have your exhust closed or choked down. I suggest you open your exhausts wide open and leave them alone; control your fire with the intakes! I still think its a great lookin pit and you will figure it out!

Not a great pic of the exhaust (its actually not shown due to the warming box being in the way). First, the 2 chrome exhausts are strictly for the 3x5 charcoal grill on the end-nice option. The other exhaust that is shown in the pic stays closed since it is a reverse flow smoker don't know why it has that one but custom pits said to keep it closed and after the 6 hr trip to p/u i didn't ask enough questions!

I actually just emailed with Brad from Custom Pits. He told me that starting this week they are increasing the exhaust from 3" to 5" so that should help with the airflow.

Is there anything I can do short of ripping the existing firebox and warming box off and fabricating a new one? Because i don't have those skill sets.

I don't think so. However, I still think you should be able to reach 300*F. Do you have a flap that you can close to the warming box? If so, I would close that and open your smokestacks completely. Then play with the intake vents and fire size. You may even want to crack the door to the firebox and see if you can get better air flow.

OK, so from your response and Smokin'Butts I'm assuming there is another square exhaust "hidden" in the pics behind the warming cabinet/firebox. Is it wide open & how big is it (the one on the other end that is closed looks to be a 3"x3")? If your exhaust is only 3"x3" I hate to say it but you gotta a problem - thats not anywhere near enough for your pit!

boiler93.....in emailing with Brad he would like to speak with you to see what he can do to fix it. Send me a PM if you would like or give him a call

Sorry, last post was a little negative. This can be fixed! Either the mfg or I'm only 45 minutes down the road. Don't get too frustrated, you can get it workin!

Thanks smokin'butts and dwfisk, I will contact the mfg tomorrow to see what I can find out. Ive seen pics of people modifying their exhausts by lowering it to grate level-what does this mod accomplish?

Morgaj1: no opening or vent into warming box to close

I did this when I built mine, put the intake for the exhaust down to the top grate level. I read it forced more smoke on te meat, seems to work pretty good. I'm hopin the mfg can make it right, if not I'm just down the road.

PS: your fire box is on the small size, but not so small as to think replacing it - get the exhaust & air flow right first!

I have this exact pit (without warming box). I agree that the exhaust is too small. I may give them a call to see if I can retrofit a larger one on mine.

I have this exact pit (without warming box). I agree that the exhaust is too small. I may give them a call to see if I can retrofit a larger one on mine.

Are you having similar issues getting above 260? How long have you had yours?

I've had it up to 275, but it takes a LOT of fuel. There are quite a few leaks in the pit. I plan to get some red silicone or fire rope stuff to seal it up better. That should help with temps.

I've had mine for about a month. I've done 3 cooks on it. I found lump was better than Kingsford for the coal (lump burns hotter). I also found a guy who sells oak and hickory firewood. The bigger logs help tremendously over the small chunks you get from the store.

I just baught the same rig this weekend. Do you think insyalling a bbq guru would help? I wasen't so concerned with the heat up time(an hour isn't that long for all that steel I dont think) but getting it to hold at 250 is a problem i found out seasoning it yesterday.

I just baught the same rig this weekend. Do you think insyalling a bbq guru would help? I wasen't so concerned with the heat up time(an hour isn't that long for all that steel I dont think) but getting it to hold at 250 is a problem i found out seasoning it yesterday.

Before installing a guru, you're going to have to deal with the leaks. You'll probably need two 25 CFM fans for it.

Hey boiler93, just though of a cheap experiment to test the theory that the exhaust it to small. As I understand it you have two 3x3 square exhausts but the mfg has said keep the one opposite the firebox closed for RF cooking. I absolutely agree with the mfg IN THEORY but thats limiting your exhaust capacity to one 3x3 or 9 sq inches. But, before spending $'s or considering chopping the pit, why not try a run with both exhausts open just to see if it improves the fire & pit temp. Also a note from others that have the pit and reference "leaking smoke everywhere" - to me that is confirming the exhaust capacity is to small and the smoke is looking for somewhere to go. Bet if you can get the exhaust & intake balanced the leaks will stop also.

Hey boiler93, just though of a cheap experiment to test the theory that the exhaust it to small. As I understand it you have two 3x3 square exhausts but the mfg has said keep the one opposite the firebox closed for RF cooking. I absolutely agree with the mfg IN THEORY but thats limiting your exhaust capacity to one 3x3 or 9 sq inches. But, before spending $'s or considering chopping the pit, why not try a run with both exhausts open just to see if it improves the fire & pit temp. Also a note from others that have the pit and reference "leaking smoke everywhere" - to me that is confirming the exhaust capacity is to small and the smoke is looking for somewhere to go. Bet if you can get the exhaust & intake balanced the leaks will stop also.

Waiting to hear back from mfg, but you took the words right out of my mouth. I will play with the 2nd exhaust a little at a time and see if I can get it to draw more heat into the cooking chamber and still work RF.

PalmettoSmoke- I use a small amount of stubb's, then only large pieces of oak or pecan-let me know if you get it figured out.

I keep both stacks open while getting up to temp. Once I'm up, I close off the second stack. I think that having larger exhausts is crucial. I'm going to call them today and see if I can bring the pit to them.

Talked to the mfg and he confirmed they are making the move to 5" exhaust which might extend the temp range 15-20 degrees but said the pit was designed to cook at 200. He said that if I brought it back he would exchange out the exhaust. I asked him to send me the new exhaust and I would pay for shipping vs the 10 hr round trip worth of gas I would spend. He said no problem! I"ll get the auto mechanic guys from the school I work at to weld it on for me. Ill keep you updated!

Back