Buying pellets

Teebody

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I just bought a used FEC100 and have been looking for pellets locally (suburban Chicago) but not having much luck. Online pellets by the bag get expensive with shipping. Can anyone recommend a local or online pellet source?

CookinPellets - just up the road in Racine, WI. I've burned them for years and they work great. Their shipping is reasonable (to Springfield, IL), but you might be able to take a little road trip and stock up for cheap.

I haven't looked locally since I still have pellets from the last bulk order that was put together. There is a guy who advertises regularly on Craig's List who handles Green Mountain Grills and has pellets. I have exchanged e-mails with him and his prices are reasonable. I asked about volume discounts and he offered $15 for a 29 lb. bag if I bought 6 or more. I don't remember what the brand was, but I think it was a good quality brand.

Also, There is the possibility of putting together a bulk order with other local pelletheads. I looked at Lumberjack Pellets and the price in bulk is around $.35/lb, including shipping. I'm not sure how much you would be interested in.

Also, Big Poppa Smokers offers free shipping on orders over $40. I'm pretty sure that this applies to pellets, but you should check to be sure.

BTW, Congrats on the FEC!

Thanks, my boss and our daughter drove to Florida to pick it up and are due home today. Scottie Johnson let me test drive his FEC and I loved it but firing up your own is on a different level.

I buy my pellets in bulk from Lumberjack and get a great price and an awesome pellet. As Ron said, if you know anyone local or friend with pellet units that would split a ton with you it makes it very economical for everyone, that's what I do.

May not need pellets after all. The wife just called and told me that a knucklehead on the phone rear ended her on I-80 with the FEC in the back of the truck. She and my daughter are OK but the FEC is not doing well and my tailgate is in the backseat. I'll assess the damage when she gets home later this evening.

May not need pellets after all. The wife just called and told me that a knucklehead on the phone rear ended her on I-80 with the FEC in the back of the truck. She and my daughter are OK but the FEC is not doing well and my tailgate is in the backseat. I'll assess the damage when she gets home later this evening.

Sounds like a heavy impact. Glad to hear your wife and daughter are OK.

Good Grief!!!
Good to hear the family is OK.

Tell your insurance company you want your TRUCK and your FEC **REPLACED**...
They'll go after the other guy...

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope everyone is ok. That is one of the worst phone calls to take as I swear my wife has a bullseye on the back of her car. She has been rear-ended...by text'ers, 5 times in the past 5 years. Nothing you can do until they get home and see for yourself. Put the damn phones down and drive.

So sorry to hear this. I am glad that your wife and daughter are all right.

Wow, not a good day. I too am glad the family is okay, the FEC is replaceable.

Wow! I'm glad that everyone is OK! Let his insurance company replace the FEC!

Thank God everyone is OK.
Insurance can fix broken stuff, but not broken people!

TIM

Hopefully everyone is doing fine and the insurance man was nice in respect to your losses. Wannemakers on ogden ave sells pellets.

So glad your family is ok. You can replace the smoker, family you can't.

When you get your smoker going again, cookingpellets.com has a good selection, and the perfect mix is hard to beat. If you call your order in and ask to ship speedy delivery, they will deliver locally for about a third the cost. Locally, I mean tri state area MN, IL, IA. Not sure about IN.

Back