Shaved/sliced beef and chicken?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Is there a way to shave or slice beef so thinly it would be appropriate to use for Mongolian style BBQ on my flat-top grill?

I'd like to be able to cook it with some sauces and vegetables the way they do it in Mongolian BBQ restaurants.

Thoughts?

I know a professional style slicer is likely the answer, but are there any alternatives, and if not, any recommendation on which one to purchase?

A slicer, or a really sharp, quality knife, and some skill. But by the time you go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a knife to do the job, you may be better off spending it on a slicer instead.

If you already have a pretty good knife, one tip to help you get those really thin slices by hand is to put the meat in the freezer for a while before cutting so it firms up. Not frozen solid, but you want it to be very firm so the meat doesn't deform when you're trying to cut it.

I have a 10" from Cabelas and it's great.
If you are going to buy a slicer get a good one.

there are 2 slice thickness; paper thin for cheese steak or shabu shabu. Or a thicker slice for korean bbq. mongolian bbq is in between. start with a roast not a steak. have it semi frozen, use a long slicer knife or meat slicer. I use my chef's choice deli meat slicer for this.

If I get one of the Cebellas dealios can I cut raw meat ok on it? Should I still freeze it partially using the slicer?

Sorry, I am definitely a slicer newbster.

Even if you use a deli slicer you must still semi freeze so that it is firm enough to get a paper thin slice. Cooked or cured deli meats are drier and less squishy to
begin with. I use it for raw meats. Just clean it thoroughly with soap after each use. I got my chef choice online for under a hundred bucks on sale, one of the best purchases ever.
If you do do this, you'll need to fit a griddle over your grill.

Even if you use a deli slicer you must still semi freeze so that it is firm enough to get a paper thin slice. Cooked or cured deli meats are drier and less squishy to
begin with. I use it for raw meats. Just clean it thoroughly with soap after each use. I got my chef choice online for under a hundred bucks on sale, one of the best purchases ever.
If you do do this, you'll need to fit a griddle over your grill.

Thanks for the info!

I won't need to fit a griddle over the grill I'll be using. :grin:

http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prodinfo/36griddle_backyard.html

I've had this same question on my mind recently as well. I have goog knives. not specifically for this purpose but honed in and sharp as hell.

So you harden it up in the freezer a bit. Is this after right after smoking and rest or longer after? I also hear everyone saying cut against the grain. Is there a set way to determine this on any cut of meat? Thinking of trying this with a sirloin tip, but also have other big cuts I may try it with. I think of cutting a steak and can't determine a direction of the grain. thanks for any/all help.

Back