Another cooking class

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing a private class for a company's team building exercise, with up to 24 people. The class is 3 hours long, and it's to cover grilling in general. I'm going to show how to grill a steak correctly, but that's all I'm actually set on doing.

The focus is mostly on simple things, but I can always do one or two more complicated things. Any thoughts on what you'd either want to show someone or want to see someone do in a grilling class?

Showing people how to grill some chicken is always a good thing seeing as how most dry it out.

Good idea; I'd started kind of thinking of doing a beer can chicken... I think I'll add that one.

Grilling fruits and vegetables might be of interest (corn, portabellas, pineapples, etc)

Show them how to use a charcoal chimney. And I really like grilled Ceasar salad. Cut the romain heads in half lengthwise. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Cut side down on hot grill enough to char. Plate cut side up and add dressing.

bbs, great idea; I'm doing grilled peaches for a class before this, but grilled pineapple is simple to show them, and tastes really great all by itself.

t, the salad is a great, idea, too; I've done that, and it was really well received. What I did differently was I froze some balsamic vinegar,a nd served the salad, grilled with a bit of parmesan, with shavings of the vinegar on it.

Great ideas, please keep them coming! Simple but good will be the theme. I'm also going to do cedar planked salmon, I think.

Curt,

Planking is a good idea. I've been getting back into plank cooking since the holidays. The planked brie started it but almost all of the seafood just keeps getting better and better. It's almost impossible to screw up unless you catch the plank on fire.

So for the class the benefit is not only a an easy cook and a great flavored product but the presentation is wonderful....

DSC01533aB.jpg

Working in a portabella for the none carnivores might not be bad.

If you ever do a turkey class I'd be happy to share my syllabus and handouts. JCA

cmcadams said:
I'm doing a private class for a company's team building exercise, with up to 24 people. The class is 3 hours long, and it's to cover grilling in general. I'm going to show how to grill a steak correctly, but that's all I'm actually set on doing.

The focus is mostly on simple things, but I can always do one or two more complicated things. Any thoughts on what you'd either want to show someone or want to see someone do in a grilling class?

Probably the one thing that I ever learned about grilling that made the most difference in my grilling was to figure out that you can push the coals to the side and grill indirectly. I spent years and years not realizing that it was even an option.

Thirdeye, I love scallops that way, and I'm starting to lean toward something like what you posted, with salmon and scallops. I have these cedar sheets that I may do fish with, too. I like wrapping the scallops in proscuitto and skewering with rosemary twigs, too.

J, good idea on the mushroom thing. I'm going to include a few simple sides, but I may do a marinated mushroom 'steak', too.

Q, I'll definitely be showing how to do a 3 zone fire, or a 2 zone on gas. I'm also going to show them the importance of letting meat rest once off the grill, with a goofus and gallant version.

J, I'm thinking of pushing an all turkey class next fall before Tday, showing deep fried, oven roasted, beer can and brined-and-smoked turkeys. The nice thing about turkey is it's cheap for the class, and it's doable in a 3 hour time frame with the right swapouts.

Back