Just a guess, are you opening the lid a bunch?

No, trying to avoid it. Put coals in, closed lid, waited 15 minutes. Put in ribs, let it go. Temp started at 235 and climbed up past 330 within about an hour. Tapped the vent closed a couple of times, but continued to climb. Sitting at 360 now, but I'd guess part of that is from the air coming in when I pulled the ribs.

I'm not terribly worried about the actual temperature level, I know this runs hot. But the fact that it never settled is making me wonder if I've got something set up wrong.

The sun! Criminy. So this morning I started a pork shoulder. Temps looked good and steady right around 290. Then started climbing, and climbing. I stepped out for 20 minutes with the temp around 315 where it had seemed to settle and came back to the barrel running at 345. After damping the vent with a glove and forcing the temp down to around 290, I thought about how and when the temp started to climb, and threw up a sunbrella. Sure enough, with the cooker in the shade the temp has held steady right around 290 for the past hour and a half.

This means now I have to figure out a way to keep the smoker shaded. My patio is pure southern exposure, which isn't the best situation for keeping the sun off. But at least it was operator error.

So I finally did a true hot and fast brisket on the PBC. Was over 350 the whole cook. It was a small brisket (10 pounds), but it was done in 4.5 hours. One of my best despite being only choice. Think my days of only lighting a few coals and taking 10 hours on a brisket are over.

587215d8f2322308ad0a458d33606480.jpg

963337a2ae37eba2565ca6b480be9ad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I finally did a true hot and fast brisket on the PBC. Was over 350 the whole cook. It was a small brisket (10 pounds), but it was done in 4.5 hours. One of my best despite being only choice. Think my days of only lighting a few coals and taking 10 hours on a brisket are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hang it at all or grate cook it the whole time? Looks awesome

Quick Rib Question

I've had my PBC for almost 2 years now. Have done a ton of delicious cooks and always looking to get better on it. I had a question to you other PBC owners on here.

I typically use the foil method and when smoking 3 racks of ribs I've noticed that occasionally 1 rack will be ready for the foil wrap well before the other 2, how do you guys handle that?

Also, I'm a big time temperature guy as that will ensure perfect doneness and tenderness, so I was wondering for those that utilize the foil method, at what temp to you guys pull the ribs to then put them in the foil. I know most say "go by the look or bend test", but I like to have a quick temp probe at it. I typically will pull them off around 205-210 for the final glaze.

I've had my PBC for almost 2 years now. Have done a ton of delicious cooks and always looking to get better on it. I had a question to you other PBC owners on here.

I typically use the foil method and when smoking 3 racks of ribs I've noticed that occasionally 1 rack will be ready for the foil wrap well before the other 2, how do you guys handle that?

Also, I'm a big time temperature guy as that will ensure perfect doneness and tenderness, so I was wondering for those that utilize the foil method, at what temp to you guys pull the ribs to then put them in the foil. I know most say "go by the look or bend test", but I like to have a quick temp probe at it. I typically will pull them off around 205-210 for the final glaze.

I don't use foil but I'm interested to see an answer to your questions. Bump.

Never foiled ribs on a PBC. They come out within 4 hours or less PERFECT!

After having a Siezure and going down the steps of my deck on top of Jr. Luckily not lit. I finally got my replacement barrel and lid today. Not sure what's on the menu yet this weekend other than a cpl fatties but she'll get a workout I know that. This thread must be slowing down, took a while to find it.

Attachments

• 1008201407.jpg
    1008201407.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 329
Loaded 4 butts into the Barrel this morning. Freddies is still running them at $0.99# so decided it was time to smoke some for the family. I've never done 4 at a time in there, it's a bit crowded.

Wow, lots of info in here. Anyone got some like must know pitbarrel tips n tricks? Been using mine since late March and love it.

Made my way through most of this. Cool seeing you guys evolve with the barrel over time. I really need to be more foodie and share some pictures with you guys, but normally i get a bit buzzed and forget lol.

Anyways I run RO lump pretty much always. I use Western wood, currently got hickory, mesquite, pecan, and apple. Pecan is my favorite to combine with, really good with a little mesquite.

Much like everyone else prior: Hanging is superior for that self baste effect. I do borrow a trick from Harry Soo and use a little wood to make a highpoint when on the grates so moisture can toll off. Ive found wrapping anything hanging to be a PITA so I dont wrap unless putting it on the grates.

Otherwise I've used this badboy 3-4 times a week since I got it. Done everything from wings, whole chicken, salmon, brisket, porkchops, pork butt, tri-tip, shrimp, leg of lamb, all kinds of ribs and still get excited whippin out the chimney starter.

Back