Pork shoulder help

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Do u cook it with the fat Side down or up?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

cool thanks guys One more question when you do injection should there be alot of the juice in the pan?

It shouldnt all be leaking out when you're injecting it. 95%+ of it should stay inside the meat if you're injecting it correctly.

I cook it fat side toward the heat source. This allows the rub to be undisturbed and protects the hot side from being charred. There is more than enough fat and connective tissue inside the meat to provide moisture.

Ok you sound new to this. This is how I do it. Many others will add to this post I'm sure. I dry rub fat or skin side down and put in a disposable pan. Smoke won't go thru the skin anyways. Throw on the smoker and no I don't even look at the smoker temp. these things are so forgiving. Smoke till 160-170 degrees internal then I add about 1/3 cup of grape juice (yes grape) it adds a terrific color to the juices and a bit of flavor. Then I wrap the whole pan in foil and bring the internal temp of the meat to 197 or until the bone pulls out clean. Pull from the smoker drain and save juices, let rest tented in foil but not covered tight till it cools enough to pull. I take the juices and put in the fridge till the fat floats to the top and remove and discard the fat or grease. After I pull the meat I add more dry rub (because the meat inside sees very little) and seasonings along with some but not all the juices. Why waste flavor. Then enjoy. Works for me.

Usually I trim the whole thing. Plenty of fat marbled in the meat already. So I just toss it in however it ends up.

I trim it, too. That fat just gets cut off at the end, anyway, and smoke flavor gets thrown away with it. If you trim the fat off before cooking, more meat surface is exposed to smoke.

Keep in mind, the smoke will only penetrate the first half-inch or so. When you pull the pork, and mix it up, that outer meat provides all the smoke flavor for your pulled pork. So trim that extra fat, and let the smoke get to that extra meat surface. There is plenty of fat inside the roast to keep the meat moist.

CD

I do a poor job of trimming the fat cap, I like a little bit of fat left on there. But, not a whole lot more than 1/8" or so. And I go fat cap down towards the heat in my UDS

I like to trim down to 1/4-1/8 inch and then score the fat with a sharp knife before rubbing. I put on fat cap up, but don't have any real reason for doing it that way.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Back