Morton, IL contest?

Ken V

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has the results for the throwdown in Morton?

yea.. ..a little over an hr or so late (they were 5:00 awards on top of that)
actually i could not give you full results..we never got a printout..but as far as Brethren wins
brew B Que got GC along with some calls in chicken and ribs I think
There was no RGC..
Dan Chambers got 1st in pork
we got 3rd in chicken
best I can tell ya..maybe Dan or BrewB Que can chime in with more details

Bill, awards were after 6:30 - remember at 6:04 "she" told us to give her until 6:15 and then it was even after that. Ugh. IF they would have told us at five that it would be so late, we could have gone and had some dinner somewhere cool and not sat in the sun so long.

Bill, congrats on your walk. BrewBQ got two walks and GC as you mentioned, but I KNOW one on the walks was not in RIBS!!!! I made sure, since I gave up my extra ribs for them to use :) Ha.

Other than non enforcement of the quiet hours and a few minor hiccups, it was okay. I just wish I had cooked quality BBQ - first time with the cooker and I learned a bit about it, so....

Dan and Pat, if you see this, congrats to you two on your walks!

Dan is a master of pork! Go Texas :p Congrats Dan, Pat and Bill on the walks.

The contest definitely had some issues, but overall I had a very nice time. Special thanks to Dan for providing me ribs Saturday morning to replace the smelly ones I picked up the day before. They didn't get called, but we won chicken and brisket.

yea i guess it was after 6:30 ...i couldnt remember as I pretty much had zero sleep like you mentioned due to up all night neighbors..

Sorry about the delays yesterday!!!!
My apologies to the competitors and attendees for the wait. I was the head of judges. The delay was all MY fault.
I had some problems with the spreadsheet that I had put together for the competition. I had found a spreadsheet here on the forum and modified it. A mistake on input then a cut and paste, caused a huge headache that took a while to get rectified.
Overall the judging went very well. We had a group of experienced as well as novice judges. Everyone worked well together. There was certainly some delicious BBQ.

The organizers did a great job with the setup of the barbecue. :grin: They are planning on having next years competition being KCBS sanctioned.

Congratulations to ALL of the competitors for their efforts and thanks to everyone for your patience.

MMMBBQ1

Mark Graue
KCBS Judge #62113

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies to the competitors and attendees for the wait. I was the head of judges. The delay was all MY fault.
I had some problems with the spreadsheet that I had put together for the competition. I had found a spreadsheet here on the forum and modified it. A mistake on input then a cut and paste, caused a huge headache that took a while to get rectified.
Overall the judging went very well. We had a group of experienced as well as novice judges. Everyone worked well together. There was certainly some delicious BBQ.

The organizers did a great job with the setup of the barbecue. :grin: They are planning on having next years competition being KCBS sanctioned.

Congratulations to ALL of the competitors for their efforts and thanks to everyone for your patience.

MMMBBQ1

Mark Graue
KCBS Judge #62113
so will the printout of our individual results be available?..some of us would like to know how our efforts scored with the judges..

Mark,
Yes, Ryan and the others did a great job setting it up. Few complaints mostly minor. We all (non-Brethren teams, too) understand that things happen. At the time, however, we were hot, sleep deprived and had been waiting 3 hours before they started telling us "five minutes" and "just a few more minutes". After an hour and a half of that, tempers were short and some of us had planned on being on the road long before.

But...no worries now. I got a six hours sleep last night - six more than the night before and didn't have to wait on asphalt for 4.5 hours today, so I'm good.

I would like to see the score sheets, though, as Bill referenced. Any idea when they'll get sent out???

MMMBBQ1

Mark Graue
KCBS Judge #62113

Bob, thanks. LOL.
Ryan, I'm glad I had them. We had planned on cooking them and bringing them home for some friends. I had them on the prep table, but before I cut into the package, I thought that I didn't want anything else to watch over, so they went back in the cooler. If you would have placed in ribs, it would have only cost me one night's sleep :)

It was nice to meet you and your teammate (it is Dan, right?)

Yes Dan, my team mate is Dan as well. We weren't too happy with how the ribs turned out, but at least they were fresh. That was the first time I've cooked spares in a couple of years, and I didn't get them to the tenderness I wanted. But, I assume they took 4th :). At least they didn't keep us out of contention like the stinky ribs would have.

Pat

Guys, thank you all for coming! I know we had a few issues but we learned a lot for next year. My apologies for the noise level during quiet time, I didn't realize that was going on. The judging was completely out of my hands as Mark mentioned above. I made sure that I had nothing to do with that part since I was also competing. Having said that, Mark sent me the sheets last night. I am going to sort through them and get something sent out ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again!

Ryan, I am fairly new = having only been to a handful of comps. It seems to me, that you guys did well for your first time. My only issues were the noise and the delay in results (which I KNOW wasn't your fault). As far as the noise, our neighbors had lots of friends dropping by all night, so there was a lot of drunkness going on until about 4 or 5. I'm gonna put the best construction on it and say that they didn't know about quiet time, or what that means.

Neither of these issues will keep us away next year, but please get in touch with al gore and tell him to stop his "global warming" ;)

Back