Carving knife suggestions

Blue Kettle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Am looking to purchase a better carving knife to replace the "forever sharp" knife I bought at Sams years ago. Was curious what you all used and specifically anything that wouldn't completely break the bank.

^^^
Victorinox is the best value knife on the market. Fdick, Mundail, and Mercer are some other descent knives, that won't break the bank. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done.

Victorinox for the money is a great value. High quality and almost bombproof. I am a Wustoff guy... if you shop the sales right, you can find the knives you need at a discount. My knives will be used by my kids kids for certain... bought them once, and as long as I take care of them, will definitely outlast me.

Holy cow. I know nice things cost money, and I got some toys that the cost would shock some people so I guess I get it, so maybe I'm just not a guy who appreciates expensive knives.

I have several 20 year old kitchen knives, the kind you get in a set for like $45 for a wedding gift before some big discount also taken off the top at a big box store. They have cut everything I ask them to cut and all I do is hit them with a little $4 ceramic draw sharpener every few times I use them. They slice ribs, brisket, thin slices of tomatoes, and all my veggies just fine. I have a Chef's Choice electric sharpener but I swear I only dig that thing out and sharpen something every few years at most. My point...my lowly opinion...is that high end knives don't produce appreciably better for the tremendous increase in price they demand.

That said, it's also fun to buy new stuff for a hobby that makes you feel good. So even though I have fully functional older knives I bought this 11-inch slicer for $15.75 (think it was on sale). After using it a few times I realize my other slicers cut just as good but it's still become my g0-to knife when cutting into a freshly smoked rib roast or brisket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PS1HRM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My personal preference has always been Wustoff, but last year I bought some Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives from a local restaurant supply store for my helpers.

I had forgot to bring my knife set and was forced to use the extra set of Dexter-Russell knives. I have to say I was not only impressed by the feel and the balance of the knives, but I also left the event thinking that maybe I bought paid too much for my Wustoff knives when compared to Dexter-Russell.

I'm not saying Wustoff is inferior in any manner; I love my Wustoff knives, but when compared to the Commercial Kitchen Dexter-Russell and Mercer knives, for the price they are an exceptional bargain for a quality knife.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/granton-slicer.html

Last edited:
My personal preference has always been Wustoff, but last year I bought some Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives from a restaurant supply store for my helpers.

I had forgot to bring my knife set and was forced to use the extra set of Dexter-Russell knives. I have to say I was not only impressed by the feel and the balance of the knives, but I also left the event thinking that maybe I bought paid too much for my Wustoff knives when compared to Dexter-Russell.

I'm not say Wustoff is inferior in any manner; I love my Wustoff knives, but when compared to the Commercial Kitchen Dexter-Russell knives, for the price they are an exceptional bargain for a quality knife.
I like the Dexters, especially the price. Just need sharpened more often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have the Victorinox cimeter, and slicer. For a combination slicer I have a Messermeister Park Plaza with reverse scallop. I have a variety of fillet knives that i could not live without.

O4dhFZz.jpg

i90a6z2.jpg

Love my Victorinox knives. Maybe more so than my Shuns. I was looking at a breaking knife or cimeter so I once again did a little bit of research and after some looking around and reading a lot of reviews I once again landed on a Victorinox.

Gor the Victorinox for Christmas and it is awesome! Would highly recommend it and it should last a really long time.

Latest big knife I'm using is a re-ground 10" chef's knife. $2, Thats right in my wheelhouse.lol
Cheap, sharp, and I can abuse it as much as I want...

Latest big knife I'm using is a re-ground 10" chef's knife. $2, Thats right in my wheelhouse.lol
Cheap, sharp, and I can abuse it as much as I want...

Speaking of abuse, I have an inexpensive Chicago Cutlery cleaver and several Miracle Blade cleavers that I bought for $8 each. The CC one is carbon steel and is easily sharpened, and the Miracle cleaver is a work horse.

WO5uHj6.jpg

I got Mercer 10” chefs knife for $14 delivered. If we’re just aiming for decent and cheap that fits the bill.

Back