• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recommendations on generator

BeastMode

Reaction score
I just picked up my new food trailer that i will be doing roadside and occaional festivals and shopping for a generator. I was initially leaning toward the Honda eu7000 but wanted to continue my search before forking out 4K for it. I have 2 100 lb propane tanks mounted next to it so now I'm considering a propane powered generator. I will primarily be running a refrigerator, 18k btu a/c, water pump, led light strips, alto shaam cook and hold warmer w/ 20 amp plug, and occasionally the installed vent hood. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the budget, your initial choice is one of the best. I would also consider offerings from Champion.

I'd have a dealer let you try a EU7000 for a weekend because I don't think it will power all the above you have listed or would be close. How are you heating water? I can power a refrig, hot holding cabinets and lights on my trailer with a EU3000 but not the ac or hot water heater. I'll turn on the hot water tank early in the morning and once it's hot I'll turn it off and I have the choice to run ac or hot box but not both.

I just picked up my new food trailer that i will be doing roadside and occaional festivals and shopping for a generator. I was initially leaning toward the Honda eu7000 but wanted to continue my search before forking out 4K for it. I have 2 100 lb propane tanks mounted next to it so now I'm considering a propane powered generator. I will primarily be running a refrigerator, 18k btu a/c, water pump, led light strips, alto shaam cook and hold warmer w/ 20 amp plug, and occasionally the installed vent hood. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'd have a dealer let you try a EU7000 for a weekend because I don't think it will power all the above you have listed or would be close. How are you heating water? I can power a refrig, hot holding cabinets and lights on my trailer with a EU3000 but not the ac or hot water heater. I'll turn on the hot water tank early in the morning and once it's hot I'll turn it off and I have the choice to run ac or hot box but not both.
A 7000 will easily run all that. Run the AC on one of the 20 amp circuits, Run the Alto shaam on the other 20 and everyting else on the 30.

A 7000 will easily run all that. Run the AC on one of the 20 amp circuits, Run the Alto shaam on the other 20 and everyting else on the 30.

I would think it would myself but I'd still try it because I know two caterers with food truck that have run the EU7000 running similar equipment and described above and both had issues when they were told it would run everything. I don't know exactly what their issues were, I just know they were unhappy with them.

Get a quiet generator. We went to a food truck event and most trucks had extemely loud generators and it was impossible to hold a conversation around any of them

There are after market kits that will allow you to convert the EU to run off of propane. It is removable so you could convert back to gas if you want.

Thanks for your inputs! I will keep the Honda at top of list until I hear othrr brands I was interested in running. There are several food trucks throughout my area do I'll go by a few of them and pay more attention

I would think it would myself but I'd still try it because I know two caterers with food truck that have run the EU7000 running similar equipment and described above and both had issues when they were told it would run everything. I don't know exactly what their issues were, I just know they were unhappy with them.
I run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, electric hot water heater, two 1800 Watt induction burners plus a fridge, overhead lights and other small miscellaneous appliances without any trouble on a 7000. The key with any generator is you have to be able to split your load. A 7000 has one independent 30 amp circuit plus two 20 amp independent circuits.

The best thing about the EU7000 is that it's fuel injected vs carb delivery of fuel.

I run a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, electric hot water heater, two 1800 Watt induction burners plus a fridge, overhead lights and other small miscellaneous appliances without any trouble on a 7000. The key with any generator is you have to be able to split your load. A 7000 has one independent 30 amp circuit plus two 20 amp independent circuits.

Perhaps there lies the issue. I know his trailer is one hook up and it's 30amp. So does your trailer have multiple cords to hook to each circuit and broken down separate in the breaker panel?

Personally I'd spend a little more and get something like this:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Cummins-Onan-6.5-HGJAE-2145/p15735.html. 70 dB at 10' puts it pretty quiet, similar to the Honda.

The reason I would go with an RV cycle is that I suspect the duty cycle is much higher than the Honda.

I wanted to get that one, but it was work to configure the front of the trailer to accommodate it. I have a v nose, and we would have had to extend the tongue and mount it on the front, and maybe put a canopy over the generator.

My next trailer will have that RV style unit for sure. Vents from the bottom, run on propane, pretty quiet. You do get a touch more vibration from them, I hear.

So basically you have a separate cord for each of the 3 circuits?

Haven't heard anything negative... but being an old guy... I sure like the Onan... which is now part of Cummins... mmm Luck.. ohh always have plenty of head room.. meaning 'more than needed' .. power... less load = more life :)

Back