3-1-1 vs 2-2-1, baby backs..

FiremanMike

Got Wood.
Question for the pros..

Last go with baby backs I did 2-2-1, and while the taste was delicious, I felt the 2 hours in foil loosened my bark quite a bit more than I would have liked. I thought about going 3-1-1 today to see if my bark would stay better, but wanted to get the opinion of you guys first?

Thanks!

I do baby backs a bit. As best you can toss the times out the window except the foiling. Foil when you like the color. Hour is prob right. The unwrap and wait until they are done however long that is....

Question for the pros..

Last go with baby backs I did 2-2-1, and while the taste was delicious, I felt the 2 hours in foil loosened my bark quite a bit more than I would have liked. I thought about going 3-1-1 today to see if my bark would stay better, but wanted to get the opinion of you guys first?

Thanks!

Far from a pro on ribs, but is it that loosened your bark or did your "bark" never really get to set in in 2 hours.. I like my results much better with STL style and foil because of the initial 3 hours of uncovered cooking..

I cook at 225, I do feel the bark was set before foil (couldn't scrape it off with my fingernail). I'm slightly concerned because my critics (girls) said the last ribs were my best ever, I don't want to impact the final tenderness too much..

I cook at around 275-290 and the last several time I did not foil at all. The results according to the family are the best ribs they have ever had. The ribs have a better bark and the higher temperature renders the fat better. The last cook I used the ribolator for the first time and in all honesty they were really good, great color. BB's were done in 3-3.5 hours and spares were around 4 hours. Switch things up to hot and fast and see how it works for you.

Everyone's got their own opinion on how it should be done, but personally I feel foil is an unnecessary step. I do my trimmed spares at 250-275 no foil until they pass the bend test and are probe tender. I hit em with apple juice spritz here and there whenever they look dry. Usually takes about 5-6 hours. Try it without foil sometime, you may be surprised.

if you are cooking for a particular audience, cook them the way they like them.

The+kinks+give+the+people+what+they+want+ray+davies.jpeg

I never foil baby backs when cooking at home.
My family likes them very sticky and often with a little char.

Deepsouth said it right. Cook for your audience.

I just do 3 hours on the smoker at 275. And they come out perfect every time. I also spray with apple juice a few times...

Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I don't. But the cooking times most people use for ribs are way too long, in my experience. I usually cook ribs at 250-275*, and if I did the 3-2-1 thing, I'd have mush and bones. About 2-3/4-1/2 works best for me. I don't notice much difference in cooking times between bbs and stl cuts. Full spares take a little longer.

I'll trim mine, put on my rub, go out and start my drum, let it settle where it wants(275-285) grab ribs and throw them on, relax and enjoy an adult beverage or three, check when close to being time and enjoy when done!:biggrin1:

Just unfoiled, there was more intact bark this time than last, but still a good amount of it had caramelized and looked a bit slimy. I know it'll firm back up in this last stage, just annoying to look at though..

Sometimes I wrap, sometimes I don't. But the cooking times most people use for ribs are way too long, in my experience. I usually cook ribs at 250-275*, and if I did the 3-2-1 thing, I'd have mush and bones. About 2-3/4-1/2 works best for me. I don't notice much difference in cooking times between bbs and stl cuts. Full spares take a little longer.

What GOP said

Back