Brisket holding time

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We have our first competition approaching and we are working on our timeline.

Typically how long do you hold your brisket in the Cambro before slicing? Also, what is the maximum time you would feel comfortable holding your brisket before slicing?

Thanks

About 4 hours for us. I have held one for over 6 hours for a family get together. Came out hot enough to still need gloves to handle. Keith

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
NORMALLY, it's around 4 hours for us, but that varies according to when it gets done, of course.

• Thanks
NORMALLY, it's around 4 hours for us, but that varies according to when it gets done, of course.

Thanks Wampus.... we saw you guys at New Pal. You looked busy so we didn't bother you

Last edited:
So in your time line you are trying to make part of it putting brisket into cambro? I would try and avoid that as much as possible

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think a wsm is cheaper then a cambro. I am 100% against cambros, but I know a lot of people who use them have success.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think a wsm is cheaper then a cambro. I am 100% against cambros, but I know a lot of people who use them have success.

I bought 2 for $50 on craigslist!

???????Really. I hold brisket in a small cooler. But I would hold it in a cambro if I had another one. How do you hold briskets?

Just curious. Why are you against them?

I dont hold brisket unless I am catering, cambros are for catering. I know people have to use them for cooker space, but taking a piece of meat directly off of a cooker and letting it rest for 30 minutes will most likely give you best results. Like I said many people cambro and cooler. There is just no benefit if its not necessary.

I dont hold brisket unless I am catering, cambros are for catering. I know people have to use them for cooker space, but taking a piece of meat directly off of a cooker and letting it rest for 30 minutes will most likely give you best results. Like I said many people cambro and cooler. There is just no benefit if its not necessary.

Seems like a lot tools/equipment BBQ teams have are things that were never intended to be used in the manner in which we use them :becky:.

We are having trouble with briskets too.... They are probe tender, then we take them off and into the cambro for a couple of hours, when we go to slice the are hot but they seem to have tightened back up. They aren't very tender at all.

Got a 1st place in brisket. Held in a Cambro, basically a vertical cooler, for about 6 hours. Pretty damn tender and juicy! I like having the big meats done at least four hours before turn ins. Makes for a much more relaxed event.

• Thanks
Im a comp n00b but I dont understand how you time something that is done when its done. I understand timing ribs/chicken but brisket and butts?

Im a comp n00b but I dont understand how you time something that is done when its done. I understand timing ribs/chicken but brisket and butts?

Well depending on your cooker setup, you may not be able to put your ribs or chicken in the same cooker with your big meats.... which means your big meats would have to be done and out of the cooker before they go in. Which means you need to know how long your big meats are going to take to cook so your ribs and chicken are done on time.

Im a noob too... so I may be off a bit :becky:

Back