• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Venison

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was just given a couple of nice venison steaks. Could anyone point me to a site that has rub recipes they have used on venison?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a rub recipe but Harley's is crazy good on venison. Just make sure you cook them steaks past medium. They'll get tough and dry if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think/hope Swamp meant DON'T cook past medium. Salt and pepper is all Bambi needs IMO, but any rub will do just fine. For a cheap production rub, Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning is pretty decent. I hope to be able to try some Simply Marvelous stuff out sometime, it seems pretty popular around here.....

I just made some chops from the back-straps last night. All I did, rub with a hefty dose of kosher salt and sprinkle some garlic powder. Let them sit on the count for about an hour. Grill over very high heat till medium rare, about 90 seconds per-side.

Unfortunately our deer season wasn't too successful, and I will need to another year before I can eat this good again...

Man I made biscuits and gravy with venison sausage yesterday farkin great, I would go salt n pepper and embrace the game ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999

I use Weber Montreal steak seasoning lightly and some extra fresh ground black pepper. Don't cook it past medium rare or it will be tough and dry.

I think/hope Swamp meant DON'T cook past medium. Salt and pepper is all Bambi needs IMO, but any rub will do just fine. For a cheap production rub, Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning is pretty decent. I hope to be able to try some Simply Marvelous stuff out sometime, it seems pretty popular around here.....

Yes, that was a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to keep it simple with venison. I usually use seasoned salt and a little pepper and garlic powder and they come out great.

Venison is real good cooked in some bacon fat. Medium rare

I take zesty Italian pour it out to the bottom of neck on bottle then add dales to it and its fantastic. No rub needed.

I have multiple coworkers who are hunters of all sorts. I bought a 1.75 lb bag of venison rub from oakridge BBQ and divided it among 7 guys. They, their family, and friends want let them make venison without it. Claims were it truly made the meat come back to life and it was out of this world good.

I like it better without rub-just salt and pepper. If I do anything to it, like steaks from an older buck, I'll marinate about an hour in some olive oil, worchestershire, and a little red wine vinegar. Cook it hot and fast, and baste it with butter when you flip. There is a fine line between delicious and leather with deer steaks, and it happens just past medium rare. Cook it medium rare and you'll love it, much more, and you'll know why some people don't like venison.

Back