View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #11324
PullMyPenang
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I got my barrels the other day. I'm using 2 55 gallon barrels. I cut the lid & bottom out of one to use as the center section. The 2nd barrel, I cut on the top of each center rib to use as a base & a lid.

The 3 sections fit pretty tightly...should seal up nicely.

From left to right: Top, center, lid.

Here they are stacked.

I cut everything with a cutoff wheel on my angle-grinder. I left about 3/4" lip on the inside top & bottom, so that the center section will keep some structure. I may have to grind away some once I get the grills.

Note: They were both a seafoam green color w/ a bit of rust until I burned them out.

Well, other than paint & some sort of damper on the intake & chimney, it's done.

I picked up 2 replacement Weber grates & a Weber bottom grate at Lowes, along with several nuts & bolts. I then stopped at a metal supply place & bought a 12 3/4" x 50" piece of heavy guage expanded metal. Then I finally stopped by Walmart & got 2 thermometers for the smoker, and then 2 remote digital meat thermometers (all on closeout).

On the way home, I stopped at a buddy's house & picked up an old post jack (3" od) to use for intake & chimney (black iron pipe was going to cost over $25 for enough and this was free).

After several hours with the torches, welder, hole saws, etc., we have smoke.

I ended up with the first grate at 24" above the bottom of the charcoal basket, and the top grate about 14" above that. The thermometers are within 1/2" of the grates.

here's some more pics from today:

I put it through it's paces again tonight. I had it up to 800* for about 15 minutes 4 times & then let it sit at 500 for another 1hr. It's been holding 250* with the coals from that for the past 2 hrs w/ using foil as a damper on the intake & exhaust.

I still want to put some handles on it, paint it, and build dampers, but it's at least ready for meat now.
This is one of my favorite units yet! (he says years and thousands of posts later)

Edit OK 5000 posts in and I am switching to scanning a posts and looking at pictures. from what I can see I'm not even halfway through...

Last edited by PullMyPenang; 09-01-2013 at 08:28 AM..
PullMyPenang is offline   Reply With Quote