Good Mix of Wood

BenBarrBQue

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what a good mix of wood is? I have a lot of oak, which is pretty cheap, but fruit wood is expensive. Does anyone have a good mixture they like to use, like 75% oak 25% cherry? Etc? Thanks in advance. Any advice appreciated.

i use what i have... lol.. i'm sorry i just do... which is usually hickory, oak, pecan, and pear wood... i use whats on top of the pile when i walk over to it! hope this helps! :thumb:

This get's past around here a lot.

Attachments

• Smoke Woods.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 49
I use mesquite or hickory for beef. For pork I use hickory and apple, the mix varies. For Salmon I use hickory and cherry, I smoke a lot of Salmon and have done side by side taste tests with several people and everyone likes the cherry (as opposed to just hickory or adding apple). I know they use alder in the northwest for Salmon, but I like more smoke flavor.

I like oak by itself. But I think 25% fruit wood mixed with the oak is about right. Check out the chart Mark Warren sent you for specific mixes in relation to the protein you are cooking.

The mix that is good is the one that you and your guests like, and what taste you are trying to impart to your food.

I have used cherry, maple, hickory, mesquite, avocado, read and white oak, pecan, JD Barrels, persimmon, and apple before alone, and in combinations.

I like 50% pecan, 25% apple, and 25% cherry for anything I cook. You can substitute the pecan for your oak, and be good, but pecan has a sweeter flavor than oak IMO.

i like using mix of mesquite and oak with a little mesquite lump as a base starter.

Oak is The smoke!

Don't matter if its Red, White, Post, Willow or whatever.

I use it as the base for red meat and hog then add Hickory or Pecan.

For Birds I like straight Apple.

Would love some Cherry but ain't none in my neck of the woods.

BTW, I never pay for Smokin' wood.

Yeah I use a pretty big variety. I don't know that there's a RIGHT or WRONG combination really.

I live right next to an apple orchard so I get free apple.
I have wild cherry on my property so I get free cherry.
I also have a good amount of oak on my property too.
I buy hickory and mesquite chunks.
I've been given pecan and mulberry by some of the Brethren.

I like to use 1 piece of oak to 2 pieces of cherry or apple usually for pork.
For poultry, I like strictly cherry or apple and maybe some mulberry.
For beef, I dig mesquite and hickory.

But it's really however the mood strikes me.

I use mostly Oak because it imbues a great flavor and I can get it for free. I have some Cherry that I mix in with it once in a while but mostly i use what I have, which is Oak.

Back