THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
I have a 1KG bone in turkey breast to cook for Christmas dinner and I want to try brining for the first time. Sadly I'm the only one that really likes turkey in the family, so a compromise is a turkey breast only. Well as luck would have it Costco had a whole turkey breast with bone in, so I jumped at it.

So who has a great brining recipe and how far in advance should it go in?

Thanks

Dean

Here is my favourite (compliments of Emeril LaGasse):

1/2 Gallon Apple Cider
1 gallon water
1-2 C Kosher Salt
2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2-4 Cinnimon Sticks
4 Bay Leafs
1/4 C Peppercorns
1 t cloves

Mix all ingredients in a non-reactive container. Submerge turkey (or this case breast) overnight, keeping cold in the refridgerator or ice for 24-48 hours. Make sure you rinse it good when you take it out of the brine.

ive used this brine recipe many times and roasted in the oven & gas grill.

did my first H/H smoke last weekend and the results were unbelieveable:

614E3DBC-0F1C-415E-A5AF-08F7D549FDA9-1106-0000005F735CDD60.jpg

36057645-241B-4B27-96A4-0BCE040AD2EE-1106-0000005F8BA6FF59.jpg

Smokin Okies Holiday brine

Smokin’ Okie’s Holiday Turkey Brine:
1 gallon water
1 cup coarse Kosher salt
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons black pepper
3 - 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 oz. Morton’s Tenderquick (optional)

Yup it's Johns (PD) recipe for sure. Do three turkeys every Thanksgiving with it and nothing but compliments every year. Just don't over brine a breast it's all white meat. You don't want it to have mushy texture.

I found Smokin Okie's and Patio Daddio's brines to be similar, but then maybe most brines are riffs on the same tune. I made a combo brine of sorts and the bird was great. Patio Daddio's may be easier to find because I think it gets cited more often, but you should be able to find both easily by searching for them.

Has anybody mentioned PatioDaddio's brine?

Tried it on a turkey & a couple of chickens Thanksgiving. Mighty good stuff there!

Back