Backwoods Chubby vs. Humphreys Half Pint

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Looking for comparison of the two as to how they stack up against each other. Would be using strictly as a rib cooker for competition.

You should give the Stumps Stumpster a look. They have 3 sizes to choose from.

Smoker

I have the Half Pint and love it. It is bulit like a tank and holds temps extremely well.

Just a FYI...

The standard chubby will not hold full sized hotel/foil pans however...the G2 version of the Backwoods line will hold full pans.

Humphreys will have any modification/upgrade you can imagine available

I use a G2 chubby solely for my ribs and it worked pretty well for us last year. I have not direct comparison for you since I haven't run humphreys, but they are of course designed off of backwoods. So they probably cook similarly. I love my backwoods though.

Well I have a BWS extended party which I have used for all but chicken in comps. I bought a Humphries battle box and plan to use it for ribs this season. I like both. The humphries is built like a tank....It is almost 300 pounds whereas the BWS is about 180. They both hold temps well -- however the battle box, in my opinion can not do a full competition worth of meats, I cook two briskets, two butts and 4 racks of ribs and although I have not tried, I don't think that would fit in the battle box

Switched from Backwoods to Humphrey's and haven't looked back yet.

I have the Half Pint and love it. It is bulit like a tank and holds temps extremely well.

Im thinking about getting the half pint. I mostly want it to cook full racks of spare ribs. I was wondering how many racks you can smoke at one time.
Thanks for any tips you might have.

Im thinking about getting the half pint. I mostly want it to cook full racks of spare ribs. I was wondering how many racks you can smoke at one time.
Thanks for any tips you might have.

Hey bud if you want to do whole untrimmed spares you will only get one per rack so like three racks or so the Battlebox box may be a better choice if you want more capacity. Pm me we can chat on the phone if you want to get more into it.

Although you are looking at the "Half Pint", I can tell you that I was looking at a backwoods before I chose my Humphrey's.

I was looking at the "Competitor" and wound up choosing to buy the Humphrey's "Down East Beast". While the fact that it was $1200.00 cheaper was nice, I personally felt the Humphrey's was better built and many other things like the adjustable racks gave many more options to me including hanging large amounts of sausage for both cold and warm smoking.

Bottom line is you have to map out what you need and then compare only the smokers that fit that need to make your decision.

Good luck and keep us informed on what you purchase.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the forum so I'm kinda all over the place. I read something about the Humphreys getting the pellet option, could the battlebox be set up for pellets? If so what would be the price tag?

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the forum so I'm kinda all over the place. I read something about the Humphreys getting the pellet option, could the battlebox be set up for pellets? If so what would be the price tag?

Its normaly a $400 option to the base Battlebox cost bur I will make it $300 for you so a Battlebox with a drop in pan pellet unit woukd be $1725. Call me if you want to chat further.

Humphreys battle box man, you won't regret it. I just purchased a cyber q wifi and the thing held @250 for 8 hours without a glitch.

Back