• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any Jambo Owners?

Light a chimney of charcoal, once it's ready dump in the firebox add a log (10-12 inches log 2-4 inches wide). Have exhaust full open and fire box door open. When the first log is about done add another and close door. Once temp reaches where you want (Jambo is designed to cook best at 275), close exhaust about half way. It should settle in at 275. When temp drops, add another log. 1 log at a time is all it should take. Fire should be a bed of coals with 1 log, smoke will be invisible or very thin blue. Depending on weather conditions, 1 log will maintain 275 for 35-60 minutes.
You are the man thank you. It took me two years to find a used one here in so cal and from what I have read I new the fire management was different. Thanks again

. I have read how to start a Lang and other offsets buti do know the Jambo is a different animal.

Actually, there is a good video of them starting a Lang that I used as the basic info to start mine and the process is exactly the same. When I got my pit, I called Jamie and asked the same question you asked and he walked me through the steps, that are what both me and Pappy said. The theory is pretty simple, all it takes is practice.

Small, hot fire, clean smoke.

All mine have the valve in the stack but the theory would be the same.

Is there a chance that I don't have enough or I have too much air intake, and that's why when I throttle her back it starts smothering the fire. Or is that just a natural point at which I shouldn't close the damper any more?

I typically have the plate closing about a third of the stack, then vary it about 1/2" or so each way to tweak the temp. That gets me about 10*.

pappy Q, does the jambo have an even temp from one side to the other? Is it tuned I guess im asking

Is there a chance that I don't have enough or I have too much air intake, and that's why when I throttle her back it starts smothering the fire. Or is that just a natural point at which I shouldn't close the damper any more?

I typically have the plate closing about a third of the stack, then vary it about 1/2" or so each way to tweak the temp. That gets me about 10*.

The air intake plate should be about a half inch out and you should never have to adjust it. Sounds like you have too big of a fire. It really doesn't take much fuel to maintain temp.

pappy Q, does the jambo have an even temp from one side to the other? Is it tuned I guess im asking

Mine have all had very even heat across the whole cooking surface. I've done the biscuit test and they all came out the same.

Pappy, do you leave the drain valve open when you cook. It has been smoking nice I think I'm trying to adjust much. I like 275 and it wants to run at 265 I think that is where it is happy

Pappy, do you leave the drain valve open when you cook. It has been smoking nice I think I'm trying to adjust much. I like 275 and it wants to run at 265 I think that is where it is happy

Keep closed. If 265 is it's sweet spot, then I'd just cook there.

Sorry for so many questions. How much temp swing due you get when adding a new log, Also is split logs OK or due they need to be whole? Yesterday everything was going smooth at 275 then after two hours into the cook with no changes it decides to take off to 290 is this common?

Sorry for so many questions. How much temp swing due you get when adding a new log, Also is split logs OK or due they need to be whole? Yesterday everything was going smooth at 275 then after two hours into the cook with no changes it decides to take off to 290 is this common?

Should be no temp swing when adding a log. You add when temp starts to drop the it stabilizes. Split logs are perfect, I like about 3-4inches wide and 10-12 inches long. When it jumped to 290, it was the wood turning to coals which are hotter. Just close the exhaust a bit and it will stabilize.

We use both splits and whole rounds.
There isn't much of a spike when we add logs either way though.
It's a timing thing. You sort of just know when the fire needs another log.

We usually have a 2 log fire going.
There's usually one log just about completely gone to coals, one log fully engulfed in flames and one recently added.
If logs are added at the right times, the temp rarely moves at all.

One thing that helped us out was we added a secondary grate with smaller holes to sit on top of the "provided" grates in the firebox. The secondary grate we got has smaller holes and so it holds up the coal bed a little better than it did with the "stock" grates alone.

Back