Rubbed, Wrapped, and Ready to go

RamHemiTX

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Guess who has a 9 pound choice packer ready for the UDS tomorrow? Umm, that would be me.

4573445438_0bba90e581.jpg

More pics will follow.

Good luck on the cook looking foreward to pics of finished product

Please post all the gritty details, how may pounds of charcoal, what brand... what kind of wood if any.... times and temps... and post lots of PRON !!!!

About 10 lbs. of Kingsford Blue Bag
Three big chunks of pecan
One air intake vent open
Temp stable at around 250

DSC02188.JPG

See ya in 12 hours or so.....

I could not love my UDS any more unless it somehow grew meat on the rack. This is only my third smoke on it and it could not be any better. What other sub $60 cooking device that you can buy works like this? Set it and forget it. Still cruising at 251 F. I thought about buying a remote thermo not for the meat temp but for the UDS temp. But it just seems like a waste of money to me. I bet a nickel it will be holding 251 F at midnight tonight if I don't cap it off when I pull the meat off..

I am a little disappointed in the final product. I was going by the feel instead of the temp. There were parts of the flat that never really got tender. There were parts that were like Jello. I figured out why when I split the point from the flat. The fat cap was really thick, much thicker that I thought. This is my first brisket on the UDS so I am sure I am partly to blame for the meat being so dry. But the flavor is really really good. I expected a thicker smoke ring. I will try to find a better cut next time...

4583270122_4e48a4b92d_o.jpg

4582641681_9903298da8_o.jpg

4582641721_7479cb473e_o.jpg

I have to ask... was the fat cap up or down for the cook? I joined Restaurant Depot today in hopes of finding A choice Brisky for my first UDS cook.... they only had select. But pork butts were $1.09/lb. so maybe that will be my first smoke....

How much charcoal was left after the 12 hour cook?

$1.09 a pound for pork butts...buy some! The best price I have found for two cases for a fundraiser is $1.39 a pound. Would love to save $.30 a pound

Fat cap was down. There was still a bit of charcoal left. Of course with a UDS it is hard to see the basket when it is burning because of the smoke. It looked like there was at least 1 pound left. I closed all the intakes and the exhaust. I will have to look later and see if it snuffed it out for use on my next burn.

I gotta admit, that looks mighty good in those pics!:cool:

I don't see anything wrong with that brisket. Nice job!

One thing I did a little different was adding some spicy Montreal Steak seasoning after the rub was on. There is a definite little kick in there now.. Tastes nice. Just had a chopped brisket and egg breakfast burrito. YUM

Back