Venison Pastrami - Cowgirl's way

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A few months back I asked what to do with my last venison roast and got lots of good ideas, including some killer looking pastrami from Jeanie. Things got crazy at work then in October our first child was born and free time as I once knew it was gone. :mrgreen:

I've been eating the itch do cook something besides ribs, butts and tri-tips so it was time to break out that roast. I seasoned it up this evening and now it's resting in the fridge. Wednesday I will pull it out, give it a rinse and smoke it.

So here are a few shots until Wednesday.

2lb venison roast...

DSC_0133.jpg

Seasoned up...

DSC_0135.jpg

Close up of the goodness...

DSC_0142.jpg

Big thanks to Jeanie for sharing the recipe as well as the process! I hope mine turns out 1/2 as good as yours looks on your blog.

I will report back with more pr0n and the final results!

I have rye bread and brown mustard awaiting the finished goodness bring it ON!

Wow.. Lookin' great so far Westy!! Hope it all works out well for you.
Congrats on the new baby too!! :mrgreen:

I see the lack of sleep has impaired my typing skills...lol. Can't wait until Wednesday!

Jeanie - I think I read that you took yours up to 165. Did you foil it with the beef broth once it hit 165 or prior to hitting that temp?

I see the lack of sleep has impaired my typing skills...lol. Can't wait until Wednesday!

Jeanie - I think I read that you took yours up to 165. Did you foil it with the beef broth once it hit 165 or prior to hitting that temp?

Westy I foil with stock prior to hitting 165F. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123467
I like to let it steam on low for a bit in the stock to keep it moist.

Good luck with it!!
I hope to make more soon too. :grin:

Ok just a little tease until I get home tonight and get my pictures uploaded. I smoked the venison pastrami last night and it turned out fantastic!

I had a couple buddies over to sample it and everyone loved it. Since we had the smoker fired up, we did a big 'ol salmon filet as well.

pr0n to come, stay tuned!

Glad to hear Westy! Looking forward to your pron.

Here is the pr0n from last night...

Cherry smoked salmon - little olive oil, fresh cracked tellicherry pepper, kosher salt

Didn't realize this picture was a bit out of focus but you get the point. This 3lb chunk of meat disappeared dang near instantly. Nice smoke flavor, very moist and tender.

DSC_0156.jpg

Now for the main course!

The reveal

DSC_0159.jpg

Sliced up

DSC_0160.jpg

Juicy, nice color

DSC_0162.jpg

Nice crust

DSC_0163_zps9857279d.jpg

Money shot - marble rye, Swiss cheese,little spicy brown mustard and onions sautéed in one of my 80 year old Griswold cast iron pans

DSC_0165_zps7bb96707.jpg

Once the sammiches were assembled we tossed them in the cast iron to crisp up the bread and get the cheese all melty.

Great eats! Looking forward to round #2 already.

Thanks! I wished I would have made this before my doe was processed this year. I would have had a lot more roasts coming. I'll just have to try and get another deer late season. :hungry:

Wow Westy. Just, WOW. That sliced pic is perfection. This is getting bookmarked for reference.

Back