Favorite all purpose rubs

I have a ton of rubs but the only one I use all the time is Plowboys Fin and Feather. It's awesome on chicken and fish without any strong or dominant flavors. For beef I'm all about salt and pepper.

Only rubs I've used that I actually liked were
- Yardbird
- Killer Hogs How to BBQ Right Rub

My base is Tony Catcherey's on anything and everything! I just ordered Killer hogs rub with a bottle of their sauce. I seen jeffturner comment on it. Anyone else try it?

My go to all purpose rub is Cowtown all purpose. I am also very partial to their sweet spot rub.

To answer your question.

Salt and pepper is never a bad choice. A good all around commercial rub that goes with damn near anything Plowboy's Yardbird.

Basic homemade RUB

4 Tablespoons paprika
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sugar, Raw
Sugar, Turbinado or
Dermerara Sugar
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoon black pepper

1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dry mustard

For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.

For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.

You can dry the sugar out in a oven.

You can dry the sugar out in a oven.
I think I'll just deal with clumps if THAT is the only real solution ;)

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

I don't do alot of the sugary rubs anymore... How sweet is it?

Not sweet at all in my book. It's a more true to the Season All name than to a normal rub.

Trust me, just try it. I bought 5lbs the other day, but if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. :wink:

When I grind my spices I dont add sugar.I do it to order meaning that I add it at the last mixing depending on it`s purpose.I also use sweet seeds and buds(Fennel, anise, star anise, allspice and clove) which cuts down on refined sugar or other sugars.

I use brown sugar in just about all my rubs. I make sure the clumps are out for the first use and if there is any left over that will clump...just sift it withan old flour sieve before applying the rub.

What is the difference between a rub, and seasoned salt? Not all rubs contain sugar, I usually try not to use as much salt in my rub mixes, because so much goes on a piece of meat. I make them spice intensive. I just don't know what makes a rub a rub.

What is the difference between a rub, and seasoned salt? Not all rubs contain sugar, I usually try not to use as much salt in my rub mixes, because so much goes on a piece of meat. I make them spice intensive. I just don't know what makes a rub a rub.

Would it be the use of your hands to rub the mixture into the protein?

I make my own rubs and use dark brown sugar (I like the extra molasses flavor dark gives versus the light). The last step of my process is to take a pestle and grind the rub through a mesh strainer to break up all the lumps (sugar, paprika as well as a couple of other ingredients I use that have a tendency to clump). It's kinda like sifting your flour when you bake. Once the sugar and other spices are all broken down, they don't tend to clump back up again. At least so long as they stay dry.

As for your original question; like I said, I make my own, but Famous Dave's is very close to what I make, so I keep a bottle of that around in case I just don't feel like mixing up a batch.

Back