• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

? about briskets

V

Vic C

Hi everyone. When I do briskets the flat always comes out dry and the point is always dripping with juice. I think the next time I do a brisket I am going to cut the flat off and do it separately. I think it takes less time than the point and it will come out better. Am I on the right track or is there something that I am missing. Here is some info on how I cook it. I marinate it for 24 hrs. Rub it down than I get my rig up to temp 210. once it is stable I put the brisket in and let it cook until it reaches 190. I than pull it and wrap it in foil and sweat it for 2 hrs. Than I carve. Thank you for any help you can give.

try foiling it at 165 with some beef broth and pulling at 185.

Vic, I don't cook mine separately. I do like mista said to do. That being said, there are people who do what you are thinking and it works for them. Others bring the flat to doneness, then separate the point and put it back in the pit.

If God had not wanted us to wrap our briskets, he would not have made bauxite.

I don't foil mine until it comes off... fat side down during the cook. Watch the temp spikes, and keep it at 250 or less, though some swear by the speed method, too.

I talked to an old boy from Texas not long ago who swore to me the secret of brisket is a window of 25*. He says it wont cook below 250 and it gets tough over 275. He says the hard part is keeping your smoker dialed in to that window.

The guy could be totally full of chit but there you go.

210 a little low for me. I cook my briskets around the 250 - 275 range all the way with out foiling. When hit 180-185 I pull and let it rest in foil for at leat 1/2 hr but a couple is better. Most people dont rest their meat properly and that can lead to drying. I tell most people especialy that are learning is to cook and good peice of meat with out foiling and all the other tricks, then you can expand you flavors and techniques. But to each his own.

I know you said that you marinade for 24 hours, how about a injection of beef broth & worchestershire(sp) or whatever you prefer into the flat. I have done this a few times and have never had a problem of drying out, also I stay in the 2350250 for the duartion of the cook.

210 may be low for the entire cook, but a few hours at a low start like that can make for a beautiful (Bill Grigsby mod) smoke ring.

When people cook in pans, do they let the meat sit on the bottom or do you put a rack in the pan so the meat doesn't directly sit in the juice?

210 may be low for the entire cook, but a few hours at a low start like that can make for a beautiful (Bill Grigsby mod) smoke ring.

When people cook in pans, do they let the meat sit on the bottom or do you put a rack in the pan so the meat doesn't directly sit in the juice?

Sits in the juice.

I talked to an old boy from Texas not long ago who swore to me the secret of brisket is a window of 25*. He says it wont cook below 250 and it gets tough over 275. He says the hard part is keeping your smoker dialed in to that window.

The guy could be totally full of chit but there you go.

He SO full of Chit!!!!

Smoke it at 200 and it will get there and take many hours to do so.
Smoke it at 375 and it as moist and tender as you can get.
Come on over and I'll show ya.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like I will have some fun trying out some of the methods. One of the fun aspects of Q is all the testing and eating the results.

Back