Which Diffuser Medium do you use in your UDS?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am just curious what you all use for a diffuser (if any) in your UDS, why you chose it and how it is working out for you.

Me:

I am contemplating a 16" perforated pizza pan, for my 18.5" 30 gallon UDS. I can use it as is when I want fat/drippings to fall through to hit the coals for some of that fat vapor flavor, and I can also optionally foil it when I don't want that flavor, and/or to collect grease to make less of a mess. (I used a terra cotta planter base in my Mini WSM but I don't know how much that would help out with my 30 gallon UDS.)

Regardless, for my setup (30 gallon) I do need to use a diffuser because my cooking grate (7" down from top) would be to close to the coals for direct cooking (from what I hear).

I use a perforated pizza pan as well, but when I did the biscuit test, the ones on the outside were obviously darker. So, I switched to three remote thermometers (didn't want to ruin more biscuits) and started drilling the holes in the pizza pan bigger until I got a consistent temp throughout. I've been very pleased w/ the performance (no real hot spots) since then.

Though I don't use a diffuser, the pizza pan with holes cut in it is a pretty populat method.

You'll have to try a couple sizes out. Also it depends on the dia of your coal basket. In my bullet which is the same dia as your 30 gal drum. I found if I went to anything over 14 inch in dia. I used 2 times the coal to get the temp up for birds. Also a lot more for the 225 temps. Just a thought.

Perforated pizza pan here also. I didn't like the flavor I was getting with the fat dripping directly on the coals. Seemed bitter to me, but others on here like the fat dripping.

Large foil wrapped heavy duty pizza stone from bed bath beyond

rev1post.jpg

Use the mini's steamer holes as a template for a pizza pan....Perfect

Use the steamer in the mini....Toss the pot

Pizza pan, but i usually dont run it. only for super fatty stuff like bacon wrapped whatevers..

By a Cheapo and drill to get desired temp characteristics.

Back