New here, building my first smoker.

AnimalLover

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
New here this is my first post. I'm working on my first smoker build. Got a question. Is versatility important when buying a smoker? Do you look for the do all end all item? Something with the ability to smoke and grill? Or is a grill a grill and a smoker is a smoker?

I agree with Kave Dweller. Some setups can do both but to do it well I've found out it's best to have a dedicated setup for each.

If you are going to build one, I don't think there is a better, easier build then a UDS, they really work.

X2 on the UDS. Mine cooks as good as my big offset cooker. And can be built for less than $100

Buy an OTG, and build an UDS. Then build a stick burner, if you need it. Scratch that word, who of us NEEDS all of the cookers we have?

Matt

Weber kettle and a UDS can get ya through most anything, spend any left over on a pit control, BBQ guru, stoker, etc.

Oh they are a necessity for sure. I spent 6 weeks working away from home with NO way to smoke anything. It sucked bad!!

Thanks for the input. I already built one, well a prototype. I was just thinking if I should make it more than just a dedicated smoker. I think the uds is great, I'm looking for year round smoking so I went with some insulation. Thanks again.

An UDS has great insulation properties IMO. Well at least mine does- I can't believe how well that sucker holds heat consistently in the winter compared to other cookers. So in the "do it all" category, I'd have to say UDS built with a grill feature. Build a standard UDS, but also so you can raise/hang the coal basket directly under the grate for hot and fast grilling. Weber kettles are very versatile too.

I designed mine to do just that, grill or smoke. I can take the grease pan & deflector out and slide the charcoal basket into the bottom rack's guides and grill on the rack just above it or if I want to get close & personal the grilling rack can rest right on top of the charcoal basket. I leave the bottom door shut and the ash will fall into the ash pan on the bottom. Here's a pic of the smoker:

Smoker-12_zpsbfd9bf49.jpg

Buy an OTG, and build an UDS. Then build a stick burner, if you need it. Scratch that word, who of us NEEDS all of the cookers we have?

Matt

*cough* *cough* Me. Really, I do.

"The gasser is for steaks, dogs, and burgers, the charcoal combo is for trip tips, the UDS is for butts and briskets, and the double barrel is for....uhh....whole hogs and turkeys! Think of the block party we could host!!!"

This argument gets a :roll: from the Mrs.

How about a picture of your prototype? That could help us give you some advice. Also, what do you plan on cooking/smoking?

I build sort of a hybrid... but i have to clean out the seasoning in the bottom of the smoker if i use it as a grill.. I made charcoal baskets that sit on the tuning plate tracks.. and i can load with charcoal and grill it need be.. comes in handy in competitions.. i just pull the tuning plates out and throw the baskets in and grill away.. My build is in my signature.

Nice build, how big is the cook chamber on that beast?

The cooking chamber ID is roughly 33"x33"x33". The racks are spaced 4" top-to-top. For bigger meats like Butts & Brisket I can pull every other rack leaving 3. Each rack can hold 9 Butts or 27 total. With all 7 racks I figure I can load 50+ Baby Backs. Cheers!!!

Back