Propane or electric camp stove/hot plate?

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting either a propane camp stove or an electric hot plate to use in comps for heating up sauce/cooking breakfast/etc.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations on either type?

I use a coleman dual burner camp stove that runs off propane, i carry my propane tank with me because i use it as well with my weed burner to start my fires. the oly drawback that i have had with the stove is that it heats things really quickly and can start to cook sauces instead of just warming them. but i like the face that i don't have to rely on comp power. i have had a contest where the breaker kept tripping and that would have been a pain with an electric hot plate.

I use a coleman dual burner camp stove that runs off propane, i carry my propane tank with me because i use it as well with my weed burner to start my fires. the oly drawback that i have had with the stove is that it heats things really quickly and can start to cook sauces instead of just warming them. but i like the face that i don't have to rely on comp power. i have had a contest where the breaker kept tripping and that would have been a pain with an electric hot plate.

That was my thought exactly. We have the propane tank already for the weed burner, and electricity can sometimes be a problem. Would I need to worry about the propane being burned inside a trailer (in the off chance I ever get one)?

I use a small stove that uses butane cans. The stove was $12 and the cans I buy 4 for $4. Each can lasts about 4-5 competitions and doesn't take up much room on my prep table.

Propane stove or butane burner. Even using an electric coffee maker at a comp can be a roll of the dice. Electric heating devices are big power hogs and you risk tripping your power, or (worse) other team's power as well.

A decent camp stove is very helfpul. It can get stuff to boiling temps in nothing flat. Perfect for situations where you find you have little time, which I have heard could happen to ONLY the MOST inexperienced people every once in a while at some comps.:heh:

I'm liking the looks of the butane burners...they are small and cheap!

Propane stove or butane burner. Even using an electric coffee maker at a comp can be a roll of the dice. Electric heating devices are big power hogs and you risk tripping your power, or (worse) other team's power as well.

This is exactly what we use now. Super lightweight, easily transportable and heats up everything quickly.

Only drawback, the wind can blow out the flame if it's gusty.

I use a small stove that uses butane cans. The stove was $12 and the cans I buy 4 for $4. Each can lasts about 4-5 competitions and doesn't take up much room on my prep table.

Where are you buying your cans of butane? I was checking around last night, and there seemed to be a bunch of talk of "hazardous material" shipping charges.

I looked at home depot, ace, walmart, etc, and they don't have the cans listed on their sites.

Where are you buying your cans of butane? I was checking around last night, and there seemed to be a bunch of talk of "hazardous material" shipping charges.

I looked at home depot, ace, walmart, etc, and they don't have the cans listed on their sites.

Restaurant Depot has them, and sometimes local "dollar stores" and hardware stores have them. A restaurant supply place will have them too.

Restaurant Depot has them, and sometimes local "dollar stores" and hardware stores have them. A restaurant supply place will have them too.

No Restaurant depot's around here, but there is a restaurant supply house. I'll check there.

I use a coleman dual burner camp stove that runs off propane, i carry my propane tank with me because i use it as well with my weed burner to start my fires. the oly drawback that i have had with the stove is that it heats things really quickly and can start to cook sauces instead of just warming them.
I use the same stove. It's compact and handy. Good for the other cooks (Breakfast / Dinner) that come up. Not all Competitions have electricity, another plus for the propane. I do have the same issue as above. The grill cooks hot and fast. To warm my sauces, I put on a half sized Aluminum pan, fill with an 1 1/2" of water. Put my sauces in the water bath. Let the stove heat the water. Let the water heat the sauce.

Good Times and Good Que,
Granny's Gang Barbeque

Restaurant Supply stores, there are at least 2 in Savannah, they will have them....get me 2 while you are at it!!!! Seriously

Dear God please erase any thought of using a hot plate at a comp from your mind! At least unless you want every other team to curse your name for tripping the breakers incessantly.

As others have said, your basic Coleman propane stove is the way to go. Cheap, easy to find fuel, requires no electric and a great multitasker.

I have an Iwatani butane stove that I love. It has a max output of 15,000 BTUs, but can also operate at a low simmer.

http://www.acemart.com/prod6720.html

I love my Coleman lanterns, but all the Coleman stoves I have owned just can't match the BTUs on the high end, or the simmering ability at the low end.

The Iwatani butane stoves are what you see at Omelet stations in restaurants.

The only downside to a butane stove is that if you are cooking in cold weather, you need to store your fuel in a warm place until you use it. Butane does not like cold air.

And, yeah, they are eighty bucks, but IMO, they are worth it.

CD

Back