Comps on little budget

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A few questions for you seasoned pros. I would like to try getting into some local comps with my kids as team members. I do not have the extra cash for a fancy trailer or a tow behind offset. I do have a medium BGE and a UDS and I can build another UDS or two no problem. I have a pickup to haul everything.

Is it worth doing this without a more professional cooker set up? I am happy with my results and I'm looking to have fun and learn along the way. I was thinking about the Hudson Valley Ribfest as is not far and it gives me plenty of time to practice and get stuff together.

I have seen BBQ comp shows where there are BGE's and or drum smokers involved but I'm not sure how well it works out compaired to Lang, Backwoods, FEC100's, Spicewine etc. Even on the cheap it is still a significant investment but it does sound like tons of hard work and fun at the same time.

Any input would be helpfull. Thanks.

Brian

while having a trailer makes it nice to get in out of the cold, I have seen several teams compete out of the back of a pickup truck and do really well. I personally think that it isn't the cooker, but the cook. If you like bbq you can learn a lot by doing a competition.

Go for it man. We started with a little Brinkman offset and won our first contest using it. I believe a team won the Royal cooking on UDS's a couple of years ago.

I agree. You don't need to have the top of the line stuff to produce great BBQ. It's nice to have, but as long as the judges like your product they don't care if it was done in a trailer or not. Most of them will probably never know.

What you have is a great place to start, give it a whirl, if you like it and decide to stay in, you may decide to upgrade, but then again, you might not. Most of all, I think it would be a great way to spend some time with the kids! Good luck.

We've always done it with backyard equipment -- WSMs. We're old and like comfort, so we travel heavy on shade and tables -- but we're still paring down yet. If this year is anything like last, far and away our biggest expense will be gas.

You have more than enough to start. I did my first few with a chargriller and had a great time. If you can try to go to a few competitions first and see what you think you need. Having a shelter is a good thing. You can get a list of what you need on the KCBS site. There are postings here that have lists of thinks to help to pack up for a Comp. Good luck and have fun

Absolutely! Cooked from a pickup for years and have seen tons of winners hauling bullets in cars:smile:

You'd be crazy not to give it a try.
Been there, done that :biggrin:

BTW, I enjoy a nice Opus X myself...

Thanks for the feedback folks. Any advice on the popup tents? Are the basic ones at BJ/Costco ok or is that throwing money away? I think I'll give it a try. Again thanks.

Diva, I checked out your web site. You are not "old" but you guys look like you are having a great time together.

Try it, it should be an enjoyable experience. Eggs are top notch units, even though they use that kuncle-dragging charcol, and a UDS, say no more. Dont get caught up in the equipment, if you enjoy it and want to pursue it, you will get things you need over time, if you dont you arent out to much!

You will do well Pilgram!

192236.1020.A.jpg

Thanks for the feedback folks. Any advice on the popup tents? Are the basic ones at BJ/Costco ok or is that throwing money away? I think I'll give it a try. Again thanks.

Diva, I checked out your web site. You are not "old" but you guys look like you are having a great time together.

I found out in HeSmellsLikeSmoke's thread that I'm old enough to be mama to a lot of you young farkers. :shock: :lol:

We're still using the Caravan 10x10 popups that we got at some warehouse store. The popups themselves are faring much better than the bags they came in!

And yes, it's been a blast -- which is why we're still at it this year.
shiner.gif

it 's not what kind of grill you pull but the kind of groceries you pull off it !!! Besides if you have fun that's all that matters .

Costco carries the Caravan canopies for around $195, with four side walls. Not throwing your money away and can also be used at home for backyard events. You can get cheaper ones at Wal Mart, those won't hold up nearly as well in wind and rain - there you might be throwing money away.

Glad to see you decided to jump in and have fun. You have more than enough equipemnt. Like lots of folks here said, it's the product you produce and we've seen folks with CharGrills, UDS', WSM taking home lots of hardware and $$. There are a number of teams that use Eggs exclusively and do very well, consistently. The key is to have fun.

I think your cooking equipment is fine.

I'm in the same situation as you and my biggest concern this year is what to do if it is windy or raining. Where do you go to prep your turn-in boxes? If it is too windy you may have to take down the 10x10 canopy. Front seat of the truck or back seat of the van would be a little tight.

Go for it! Almost all of us started this way. Our 1st KCBS contest we hauled our 2 WSMs and a chargriller in my old Suburban and ened up 6th out of 40 somthin. Just go and have fun, there will undoubtedly be someone next to you to give advice and encouragement.

Good luck to you!:-D

I think your cooking equipment is fine.

I'm in the same situation as you and my biggest concern this year is what to do if it is windy or raining. Where do you go to prep your turn-in boxes? If it is too windy you may have to take down the 10x10 canopy. Front seat of the truck or back seat of the van would be a little tight.

You got it and therein lies the beauty and challenge of BBQ... who can overcome the best to win! We've endured literally EVERYTHING at contests and still came away with awards. And yes, we've prepped boxes in all sorts of predicaments! You just NEVER quit for any reason! If you do, your new friends will make fun of you for the rest of the time you know them! That's kept us going on several occasions.

My first contest I had a rental trailer,homemade offset and a bullet. borrowed a EZup. had 1 6 foot table...and the time of my life!!! made some great friends and got a call in brisket.
Do not compare your setup with your neighbors. They may have money but you may have quality!

I've showed up at plenty contests with a UDS in the backseat of my Chrysler 300M. Got some funny looks until I walked. It's the cook, not the cooker.

i agree with everybody.ive done contests with all i have a bbq grillware grill chargriller sfb and ecb.ive won one first place in a local contest here ,and got 4th chicken at the best of best backyard here,all while sleeping in a sleeping bag in back of my brothers 88 chevy pickup

Back