• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

>Bluehawg's 120 Gallon Smoker Build

looking forward to this build. keep on chugging away and getting over those road bumps. i am sure it will be well worth it. in the mean time, us free loaders can learn from your misfortunes:-D

I've almost got it drawn back in the way it needs to be by heating the inside of the radius with a rosebud while I have tension on it with some straps clamped tight to some smaller diameter pipe. Next step is to run a bead down the length of the arc on each side of the inside to finish drawing it in. It didn't spring out when I had originally cut or or when I put it back on but I guess from welding the seals up on the outside it allowed it to relax. After doing some research and talking to folks that "know" I found out that by applying the heat to the outside I encouraged it to relax and that I need to apply heat to the inside so it will draw back up. I guess I should have figured that out on my own considering common sense and experience has shown me that metal tends to "cup" to the side that heat is applied. The thing was fitting perfectly fine when we had it all done up originally on that friday afternoon but it relaxed out and didn't fit anymore monday morning. LOL.

Lesson learned and from now on I will DEFINITELY weld up the inside FIRST and only lightly weld the seal on the outside and ONLY while a couple of straps are on it for good measure.

Believe it or not, this is actually the first time I've ever experienced this and that is why it caught me off gaurd. I guess in the past I've always just gotten lucky or something cause it is definitely a first time experience.

I'm making some basket twists for the handles and hope to have the door finished (for the second time) and the handles installed so I can move on to firebox construction next. I'm getting anxious to finish this sucker every since I got the first rack made and installed. I want to send up a burnt offering... :)

I am curious too about the build! Oh, and do not feel bad about setting yourself on fire. I set my shorts on fire cutting steel plate with the 7 incher on a table saw.

Here's a few updated fotos.

I got the door issue resolved! Found a new trick or two to add to my arsenal so this will be a "no problem" next time it occurs:becky::thumb:

I'm about to install the door handles and begin on firebox and stand for it. Trailer will be later as I'm too broke to be buying trailer parts right now. May just have to lug this big sucker around to cook on until I can afford to mobilize it!

Here's pics:

In pic below, this is a frontal view with door closed.
frnt1.jpg

Door open. Duh... as if ya'll couldn't figure that out:becky:
frnt2.jpg

Door open and the main rack (lower rack) installed.:clap2:
IMG00217-20120204-1221.jpg

Working on handle designs now. This is what I've come up with so far.... It's a basket twist out of roundstock. Still may alter it a bit but I think this is something I can definitely work with and will be a way I can incorporate some of my metal artwork into this design so it not only will be a "cooker" but be nice to look at as well:thumb:

first%2520round%2520stock%2520basket%2520twist%2520attempt.jpg

I do metal art on the side if you all haven't figured that out yet:becky: Most of my work is either functional art, home decor, yard art, freehand plasma cut outs etc.... I am currently trying to learn blacksmithing as well so I can start to incorporate some forging into my stuff. Nothing fancy, just a good ol boy redneck trying to expo... Err... I mean EXPRESS myself:becky:.

What ya'll think about these handles???:confused:

handles%2520installed.jpg

Man, it sure is good to get my momentum on this thing back up! I am getting excited all over again!

It's looking great! Nice job on those handles. :cool::thumb:

Don't know how much I will get to work on it today because we are trying to get the students finished with the trailer build we made to raffle off as a fundraiser for FFA... Supposed to raffle it off either Monday or Tuesday and it still needs another coat of paint, floor boards installed, and light kit installed. Will be a sweet trailer for the lucky winner too!

So... My plate will be full of that today since the other teacher is out for a livestock show today and tomorrow and we both will be out Friday.... I have a LOT to get done.

Here is a pic of the trailer build we are trying to finish up today thru thursday.... Gonna be raffled off Monday or Tues.

So, what you guys think about this craftmanship from a bunch of high strung 15-18 year old knuckle-headed boys/girls? Started with a set of blue prints and we made them responsible for helping get a materials list, cut list, and they did most of the fabrication themselves with help and supervision from us. Now granted some of the critical welds like frame and tongue were done under CLOSE AND EXTREME supervision by myself and the other ag teacher and we ground and went back over some of those just so we would know they were good, tight, safe, aesthetic, and would HOLD! LOL

IMG00223-20120207-1131.jpg

Great teaching sir.
Kids need to learn using your mind and hands is every bit exciting and worthwhile as getting a degree and ploping your hinny behind a desk your whole life.
I didn't go to college. I started in a factory when 18 and moved up to a Engineering job as a modelmaker and had a very sucsessfull career and life.
Retired at 55 with 37 yrs service and am living the life many just hope for.
Ed
P.S. My shop teacher always called us little round heads. I see him occaisionally and we usually have a good visit.

We're getting donation of 5 dollars for a ticket. They haven't really sold many yet at all. I'm getting a little concerned that they are about to learn a very valuable life lesson about hard work, value of a dollar, and procrastination.

It has a 5,000 lb hitch, 5,200 axle, 15" tires/rims, fold up jack, safety chains, lights, rear loading ramp/gate, side loading ramp/gate, dimensions for trailer are 6 1/2' X 12'.

Will have a floor in it. Treated wood. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon.

Here's some pics of my progress thus far...
427683_221741917922257_119658621463921_423167_1244638325_n.jpg

Stand for smoker since I will be adding the trailer later I can always cut legs off to whatever height I need them.

429515_223662601063522_119658621463921_427689_1917546517_n.jpg

Got it set on stand and gussets tacked on. Will weld up gussets to stand and to cooker tomorrow... Should be able to start on firebox tomorrow as well:biggrin1:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back