Venison..but not smoked

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone would be interested in this.. maybe a few of you that hunt.
This is some of the deer from rifle season this year. I've been busy processing the meat.

I've cleaned the backstraps, wrapped some whole for later, cut steaks, made burger and roasts... and canned some.

69b99ac7-1.jpg

for canning I place the raw cubed venison into jars, add a mixture of beef bouillon, onion powder and seasoned salt. then top with sliced onion and a clove of garlic.

9ce7cb64-1.jpg

the meat makes it's own broth while in the pressure canner.

b851e6f8-1.jpg

f85116fc-1.jpg

I load the pressure canner and process the venison at 12lbs of pressure for 75 minutes (pints). This is different for every location, you need to check your own pressure canning guide for altitude adjustments.

25b7b10a-1.jpg

609b4b1d-1-1.jpg

The meat stores on the shelf, it's an easy 'heat n eat" meal and great over smooshed potatoes. :-D

ed14f45c-1.jpg

Just one more option for this year's venison harvest...

Thanks for looking!

Adding link to canning chicken for anyone who's interested... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/09/canning-chicken-thinning-hen-herd.html

Last edited:
That's really neat. I've never canned meat before (proly 'cause I don't have a pressure canner). What's the shelf-life on those?

That almost, ALLmost I say, makes me want to take up hunting. I, however love my feet too much.:thumb::thumb:

Then you should go hunting with Jeanie, I think she said she mostly just
stays on her porch and waits for the Deer to come and see what she's
cooking...and then it's "lights out".:heh:

great idea! I just got a pressure cooker/canner Sunday. I plan to harvest at least 2 more deer. I can't wait to give this a try.
Pomah/ I haven't forgotten you. There's still a deer on the farm with your name on it. :)

Thank you Chris and Guerry, it's nice to have on hand during the winter.

That's really neat. I've never canned meat before (proly 'cause I don't have a pressure canner). What's the shelf-life on those?
Thanks Southern! I use the canned meat up in a year. I try to use it all before the next deer season. I'm sure it would keep longer though.

Then you should go hunting with Jeanie, I think she said she mostly just
stays on her porch and waits for the Deer to come and see what she's
cooking...and then it's "lights out".:heh:
lol sometimes it seems that easy... but most of the time not. :-D

Wow! Where do you come up with these ideas? Awesome!
Thank you Pomah, my mom and grandmother canned food.. It just seems like the normal thing for me to do. lol

Diver, good luck with it! Also with the hunting! :thumb:

UUUUUHHHHHHHHHH SWSW I've wanted this shown for awhile....

Thanx Jeanie

Hey HWSW and CEBTM! I bet you know how to can too! It's nice to have the option as far as storing meat. Sometimes electricity goes out...you don't have to worry about a freezer. lol
Thanks Ken. :wink:

Cowgirl that is a dying art canning meat , people use to can all different types of meat.

That is good stuff Jeanie, I've had it before. I can as well, sometimes beef roasts and they last a long time. I've got some that's 2 years old, still good.

Jeanie, you are a vast resource of knowledge on so many topics. Endlessly amazing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pictures with us.

That's quite interesting. I've canned a lot of tuna but never tried meat, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jestridge and 4deuce... :cool:

Jeanie, you are a vast resource of knowledge on so many topics. Endlessly amazing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pictures with us.
Dan you give me too much credit. All I did was pay attention while growing up. lol Sometimes I forget that not eveyone had parents that did the things mine did. (((hugs))) Dan...Thanks.. :wink:

That's quite interesting. I've canned a lot of tuna but never tried meat, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing.
qndummy... canned fish is a real treat!! :thumb: Thanks.

Makes me want to try it!

I remember jars of canned meat on my Grandmother's shelves.
deerslayer, hope you give it a try sometime. It's worth the effort! :-D

Very interesting. Jeanie is like an Amish gal with internet!

Some may not know but I worked with qndummy for over 15 years but he gave up on us and retired. I remember him talking about canning fish after his many productive fishing trips. Two things missing around here now, Dicks fish and Kneppers cashew brittle.

Hey Jeanie you make cashew brittle?:becky:

Jeanie, I pressure can venison as well. After packing the raw meat in the jar, I put in a half a bay leaf, salt and pepper, and dried onion flakes. Give it a try sometime, the bay leaf adds a nice twist to it.

Back