OK, what did I do wrong?

Just read through the whole thread. I knew in your first post what was wrong, and that is:

WALLY WORLD + MEAT for Q'ing = FAILURE.

Hope your next one is better!

I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep Ron, that is the first time I have ever heard someone use that description with a brisket. Just don't have a clue to help with the taste issue. Hope someone has a better idea.

check your meat thermometer, it could be wrong.. a 5.5 flat will never take that long to cook wrapped or unwrapped..my guess is it was overcooked and dry . Thats why it didn't pull apart right

For completeness' sake, I'm posting the follow up.
I got a nice brisky from my local butcher and used Kosmo's to inject once again. I added some rub and water to the mix and injected as I had done previously (where i FAILED). It was very good. Clearly my problem had been the enhanced cut of the WallyWorld meat. I took 10th out of 44 in brisket that day. Plenty of room to improve, but I was pretty happy that the hamminess was gone. Check your labels!!!

Thanks for this tip and to the Brethren. Important stuff to know for us novices.
Memo to file - no meats from Wally World.
We have some local butchers around. Sounds like a good enough reason to shop locally. :idea:

Next time be sure you're @ 190 at very least before pulling it. If the weather isn't cooperating, foil and place in the oven at a higher temp.

Back