My first Amateur Comp (Pr0n)

FattyMac

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This past Sunday I competed in my very first competition. It was an amateur event so it was only baby backs which the organizers provided.

Here are the ribs being prepped:
IMGP3658.JPG

My lovely assistant and wife:
IMGP3665.JPG

I couldn't have done it without her, she is a maven of organization and had us so well prepared that the other teams couldn't believe it was our first time out.

IMGP3669.JPG

Checking for tenderness:

IMGP3670.JPG

They were actually a little over done.:doh: These ribs were smaller and less meaty than the ones I had been practicing with. I placed them back in the cooker to get them more firm but had to sacrifice a bit of time with them sauced in the cooker.

Here is what we ended up turning in:

IMGP3671.JPG

IMGP3673.JPG

In the end I felt the ribs were little over cooked and the sauce could have had more time to set up. The judges comments seem to confirm this as I few comments were:
"Slightly over cooked - slightly"
"a little too saucy"
But as they say, sauce covers a multitude of sins. :becky:

In the end it was Fatty Mac Barbecue that carried the day!! :bow:

IMGP3677.JPG

The prize consisted of this fantastic trophy and this Napoleon Apollo 3 'n 1 Smoker, Tailgate/Charcoal Grill and Water Smoker. It seems like a love child from a WSM, cajun bandit and kettle grill 3-way.

IMGP3687.JPG

Thanks for lookin'!
IKDy7kfZKmE5VEz9J4rm6w

Sweet!
That smoker almost looks like a Pro-Q.
Congratulations on a fine win.
BTW, I'd hit those ribs.

Congrats! Great job!

I like your wife's shirt. Do you know where she got it?

Sweet!
That smoker almost looks like a Pro-Q.
Congratulations on a fine win.
BTW, I'd hit those ribs.

You're right! I hadn't had time do any research on it, but it looks like it is just a rebranded Pro-Q. When you click on the Canadian Distributor link for the Pro-Q it takes you directly to the Napoleon product page.

I like your wife's shirt. Do you know where she got it?

Yes, she got it at a store called Giant Tiger. I don't know if you have any down there in the land of the stars and stripes. It's kind of like a low rent Walmart. She got several others with great saying on them like "Never trust a skinny chef" and "What happens around the grill, stays around the grill".

Yo PhattyMackster!

This is gonna be my Phavorite post oPh the day!!!
Gore's post was my Phav. oPh the day....till now!

Congratsz on your Phirst Comp!
I love the 2nd pic,She looks like a winner!:cool:

I saw that Napoleon Phor the Phirst time last Saturday...I thought it was a Pro-Q untill I got closer.

Thank you Phor sharing!!!

Congrats on your first comp man!
The ribs look great from where I'm sitting, kudos to you my brother in smoke.

Awesome job! They allow pellet poopers?
Like the shirt too.

They actually allowed any and all types of equipment. The only thing they didn't allow was all electric cookers. I was the only one with a "Pellet Pooper".

Chit, there was one guy there with a gas grill! :crazy:

Great job! And I think you are very lucky to have such a lovely assistant!

I was going to compete in an amatuer comp a while back. But I was getting my taxes done that day.

Matt

Back