Maverick ET 732 probes

Raider18

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with these things? I'm going on my 3rd set in less than a year. I cook low and slow, have grommets to avoid crimping and they still go out. Any suggestions to keep them working or suggestions on another wireless monitor?

I have had mine since February and have had no issues with the probes. I have heard how they can go out, so I have a spare set ready if needed.

Are you being careful not to get any moisture where the probe meets the cable? Some people put shrink wrap or sealant there to keep the moisture out. I am just really careful when I clean my probes...

Oh boy. Where do I begin with mine....

I'll spare the details, but you might look at an iGrill2 as an alternative. Depending on the range you need, it could do the trick.

Both mine are still on their original probes, probably 3 years and 2 years respectively. I make sure to never get them wet where the wire goes into the probe. They get used very often, maybe I'm just lucky.

one of mine died within the warranty period, and they sent me a new set no problem. I then put high temp RTV sealant over the area where the wire meets the probe. haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't used the thing since winter. thermapen is way easier.

You leave your Thermapen in the smoker? :shock:

I've learned more about cooking not relying on a maverick then when i did use it.

But no, I don't leave it in, all of my cookers (excluding the smokin-it) have a calibrated temp gauge that i can generally see by looking out a window. That and most of them are good at maintaining temps so I don't see the need anymore to set up maverick.

I remember Smitty posting that he buys the heavy duty probes. Not sure because I have 2 and all 4 original probes still work but I do have 2 spares just in case. I crimp mine in all my cookers but I am really careful when washing the meat probes. I even burned the rubber piece on one probe on my OTG when grease caught fire but it still works. They will all probably die this weekend but so far I have not had any issues.

I only use it for overnight cooks so the alarm will wake me of the fire gets too low or the meat gets too hot. I use the thermapen when I'm awake.

I baby mine. When I clean them it's only with a damp paper towel.

Get the 6ft length probes, I had 2, 3ft length probes replaced by maverick and no problems since.

No problems here. I have two and all original probes still work. I'm very careful when cleaning the probes though

I had problems with the original probes. When I replaced them, I had determined that the 6' length would work better for me, I haven't had any problems since getting them. I also don't bother washing them, so that's not an issue. I leave them hanging through the hole in my UDS and put a cover over it after cooling....still no problems. The sending unit also hung on the handle of the UDS during a cook while it poured down rain:doh:....no issues with that either. Getting 6' probes seems like the correct answer, based on the replies.

I have had an old ET73 and a newer 732 for a few years. Never had probe issues. I never washed them in water, I only clean them using an alcohol wipe.

Having said that, I haven's used either in the past year ever since I learned how to use my Thermopen as a probe to check tenderness. Temp just doesn't seem to matter any more.

Both mine are still on their original probes, probably 3 years and 2 years respectively. I make sure to never get them wet where the wire goes into the probe. They get used very often, maybe I'm just lucky.

^^ What He Said ^^^ and I'm just careful not to kink the leads (sharp bends).

I have two sets, one the original 3 foot ones, and a set of the 6 foot straight ( not bent ) probes. One of the straight probes went crazy last time I used them. I had shrink tubing on them, but on the one that went crazy had cracked shrink tubing on it. It was in a brisket and the rendering fat got inside of it I think.

I really do not use them much any more, as I have learned how to tell the grill temp by estimating from the mounted gauge, which runs about 40 to 50 degrees more than the Maverick probes ran when they were used. I have a thermopen wanna be that is slow ( 6 to 8 sec. ) that I use for meat temps when I need to really know what it is. ( chicken, etc ) In other words, learn your smoker and you will get by without depending on the Maverick. ( other than the alarm advantage )

Blessings,

Omar

I have two ET732's for about 9 months. No probe problems but I do have a problem with one of them losing the signal. Looking at getting the Tappeque...

I got some wireless thermometer from walmart no idea what it is called but it works from one end of my property to the other end on the other side of my house. It is fantastic. I think it was just under 30 bucks. It's not bad at all for the price.

I have 4) 732's and a few are several years old. I have recently replaced one set of probes

1. As posted before, use RTV around the cable to probe area
2. Do not exceed the probe temp rating
3. Do not kink the cable
4. DO NOT submerge in water. Wipe down for cleaning

I have some food grade silicone good till 400f am now going to put a coat on the connection as some of you mentioned.
I have never cleaned the braided probe wire, just wiped it down, can I submerge the cable just making sure not to submerge where it connects to the probe ???? Ive always been scared to get water in the wire.

Back