NASCAR "BBQ Shootout Series"

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=103202

Procter & Gamble and AstraZeneca's heartburn remedy -- Prilosec OTC, which sponsors driver Jeff Burton -- will also fire up a "BBQ Shootout Series" at six NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year. With portions of proceeds going to support the three-year-old NASCAR Foundation, the Shootout will feature award-winning BBQ Pit Masters from around the country competing for prize money.

<>p> Fans will have the opportunity to taste the BBQ at $10 a plate, meet Burton and other drivers, and win tickets to upcoming NASCAR races. Prilosec OTC has also teamed up with local Walmart stores to hold in-store events the Wednesday or Thursday before each Shootout. The sessions will feature cooking demonstrations, food samplings, autographs from drivers, a chance to win tickets to that weekend's race, and heartburn screenings.
Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.
NASCAR fans who can't attend the BBQ Shootouts in person can get a taste at home as Prilosec OTC has teamed with raceway owner Speedway Motorsports and Speed TV to air segments of the competitions.
Prilosec OTC's BBQ Shootouts will launch on Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway, Ft. Worth, Texas. Other locales are Richmond (Va.) International Raceway (May 2), Lowe's Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C. (May 24), Indianapolis Motor Speedway (July 26), Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway (Aug. 22) and Atlanta Motor Speedway (Sept. 6).
Winners of the BBQ Shootout Series will be determined by an independent, blind-judging process that is used by the Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS), a non-profit that sanctions BBQ events nationwide.
GlaxoSmithKline's heartburn remedy, Tums, meanwhile, is one of the participants in another KCBS event, the second annual Great American BBQ Tour. Touching down in 25 locations through October, the tour also features Tabasco's Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Kingsford Competition Briquets, Weber Grill Creations and Scott Shop Towels. Next stop on the tour is Friday and Saturday at the Porkin' in the Park festival in Clarksville, Tenn.

www.BBQShootoutSeries.com

the.jpg

Pit Masters
Competitive BBQ teams from around the country such as Lotta Bull BBQ, Wood Chicks BBQ, The Texas Rib Rangers, Great Grills O' Fire, and Rhythm 'n Que will press the level of quality BBQ higher and higher at each and every Shootout.

Who would have thought that heartburn remedies would be so eager to partner with BBQ ?

Prilosec sponsoring this event and Tums being a KCBS sponsor of the BBQ tour.

I thought this line was funny..

Prilosec OTC suggests that frequent heartburn sufferers who want to enjoy the BBQ start taking the medication two weeks before the event they are attending.

I guess this will boost consumption..

I got an invite, but was unable to commit. :mad:
Those guys will have fun and I wish them all luck!

Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.

I wonder if it'll look something like this:

503746294_NMV2P-M.jpg

I think he needs a hotter fire, there's a lot of big white smoke rollin' outta that thing!:mrgreen:

Another great move by MMA to get this going... oh, but wait, it was invitational only... not open to all members. How did they pick who'd get an invite?

This was mentioned by MMA at the KCBS banquet and sounded exciting. Not very exciting when you don't get a chance to participate.

It's all about big names and big money... here we go! I need a big sponsor to get me an invite, I guess.

Todd, I'm not sure what was the qualifier to get invited, I even met the guy at Lakeland this year. I guess Rub can shed a little light on this for us on how they picked those that got an invite.

I would have thought my record was good enough for at least a little consideration.

Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd. :redface:

Kevin, They probably heard the rib podcast you did for BBQCentral about two of years agao and figured you hung out with a bad crowd. :redface:

lol.. :-D You may be right Finney!

Should be interesting in Texas. Just last night I sent a bunch of Q down for some of the teams (unfortunatly Burton wasn't one of them). Maybe they'll put in a good word for me.

MMA is not involved in this program and very distant from any part of it.

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl

This is a program by Prilosec and Nascar. They met with folks at Lakeland. They had some contacts with Texas Rib Rangers, Dr. BBQ and talked to Lotta Bull. It went from there. Yes it is only invitational. There is talk next year about some open competitions if this year pays off.

This is what we wanted for KCBS a national brand. We have been given a gift to go with a program which will put our name out as the premier national bbq organization. This is great for KCBS and will be good for all members in the future, I hope.

Merl

When Sledneck posted this last night, it immediately had appeal to me. I was very disappointed to see that it is by invitation only. Its great that KCBS is getting its name out there on a national stage like NASCAR. However, "invitation only" contests like this seem to exclude the vast majority of the members who brought KCBS to where it is today.

Merl
As do the rest of us...

Sucks because I am a huge NASCAR fan and would of loved the opportunity. DO big names in BBQ really make any difference to the typical Nascar fan? If you you weren't a BBQ competitor or a regular on a forum such as this one wold you have any clue who a Mike Davis is?

From what I was told there is a Peoples Choice element to this
Teams will be cooking or have someone they trust cooking BBQ for the crowd

It's also a series as I learned yesterday. I'd think that you'd have to commit to the majority of events or arrange for a suitable replacement. Tom is also right, that you need to be able to vend at $10/per plate. I hadn't planned on it, but I ended near the Walmart where Mike Davis was doing his appearance yesterday. He had his pit going, and another large cooker that I suspect was borrowed or provided to manage feeding the masses. He got there early to set up, and had to remain for several hours....in what was about to become a madhouse. I hauled ass to get out of the parking lot for ground zero of NASCAR mania!

For a first year invitational event to test the waters, I don't see a problem with being selective and taking the best resume possible. Just about every name I've heard has some credentials. If I'm Prilosec, I'm looking at that. I'm also looking at putting on a show for the fans. I think I'd rather have them see the big motorhome with pull behind rig, than me pulling up in a truck and unloading a couple of WSMs and EZ-UP.

This is about business, promoting BBQ, and KCBS. I'm fine with the way they've chosen to start.

Back