What's the best compliment you've gotten on your Q?

My step daughter telling her husband that my bbq beats the hell out of Smokey Bones food.
He thought their food was excellent.
I did their Wedding Rehearsl dinner for about 35-40 family members. I did 10 racks of ribs and 3 brisket flats. Everybody ranted and raved over my Q especially the brisket. Was hoping for left overs but that did not happen.

That's a great story.

Mine's a little different, but meant the world to me, in a "welcome to the family" kind of way. My Mother in-law used to brag, and brag, and brag about her son's Que. I've had it, and it's decent. Well, one day, I was making up a brisket, some pulled pork, and beans; and took it over to her house, and the whole family came to eat. She pulled me aside at one point, and said, "don't tell Matt, but your BBQ is waaaay better than his."

I usually throw a big Labor Day Weekend BBQ every year. The coolest compliment I have recieved was a friend asking me 6 months in advance what day my BBQ was going to be on because he wanted to plan his vacation around it... Total Power Trip.

Anyway, I had to bump my labor day BBQ up to this past weekend due to my own vacation this year. I recieved my second favorite comment of, "The perfectionist has achieved perfection". I will post pictures a little later on. It was definitely one of my better cooks.

Great story. Mine isnt' as good as yours, but I still think it is funny.

One of my friends are HER girlfriend both came up to me and said they loved having my meat in their mouth. :heh::heh:

Hey, I'm JR and a newbie here. I just have a propane vertical smoker right now because the HOA for complex won't allow coal or stick burning. I've received two good compliments one from my Dad who said that he doesn't have to "Q" anymore because of me and the second was from a chef friend of mine who ate my pulled pork for dinner one night and breakfast the next morning. I love bbq and I love smoking food. Looking forward to trying different things.

I have 2 that are tied for the best. The first one was the first time I had cooked for a large group- my niece's communion picnic. I didn't make a big deal like "I'm bringing RRRRRIIIIIIBBBBBBSSSSSS!" I just told my sister I'd contribute a few racks so she wouldn't have to foot the whole bill herself.

There are a handful of people who are famous in my family for their signature dishes that we all drooled about/requested for every party: My aunt Audrey has her brownies, My aunt Lisa has her BBCued hamburgers, my grandmother had her roast pork and breadballs with ketchup gravy, etc...

Well, the ribs went over very well and several people approached me and said "now you're going to have to bring these to every get-together" as if they were an instant classic.

The second was just recently when I made ribs for work and one of my co-workers said "from now on, whenever I eat ribs anywhere, I'm gonna tell them that if they aren't like Tim's then forget it. I don't want 'em."

Awesome stories btw everyone!

Father in Law (shortly after I had been designated the chief carver for holidays where big hunks of meat are served) "Mmmmwwwoohohohohoho is that good!!"

I was pulling a pork butt and I knew folks wanted tastes, so I cut a chunk of the money muscle off for sampling.

Any of the compliments i have gotten from others pale in comparison to that, just reading your story made me tear up thinking of my grandpa who served in ww2 and korean wars.

The smiles, the noises of yum this is good, father in law saying this is pretty darn good, taking left overs to the guys at the parts house and having them ask to bring in more is what its all about to me. dont have to really say its good i can tell its good when i see them making 2-3-4 bbq sandwiches

Recently my daughter and her husband made a trip to the Hill Country to do some kayaking and camping. On the way home they stopped at Salt Lick. When they got back they said my ribs were way better than theirs. :grin:

Recently my daughter and her husband made a trip to the Hill Country to do some kayaking and camping. On the way home they stopped at Salt Lick. When they got back they said my ribs were way better than theirs. :grin:

we need to talk. while I haven't been there, i'm a couple hours from there. maybe we can make some magic happen :whoo:ie-you need help, maybe i'm your man...etc

eta-just saw your join date is my birthday, lol.

Smoked 60 lbs of pulled pork last weekend for my stepmother, for a memorial for a passed biker. Loth of older people were there. I was greeting them as they were going throught the line. Asking their opinion on some new baked beans I made. I must have heard it 5+ times "This is the BEST BBQ I have ever had" This was not 20 year old drunk kids. Lots of these guys were in their 50's-60's and stone cold sober!!! Needless to say I had a BIG smile all evening! Never get tired of hearing it :)

From another Vet. thanks for the story.
I guess what sticks in my head was when I helped with
the cook at a benefit dinner.
I used my UDS and cooked up3 spatchcocked chickens.
The compliment was 3 people said best chicken ever and they
wanted a UDS like mine.

Again. not as good as the OP, and take away the family's compliments, my best was when I took some PP to work and a Johnny Come Lately asked how was it, one of my co-workers replied, "You don't have to have BBQ sauce with it". So I considered that a compliment.

The posts about people's fathers handing over the reigns to the pit made me laugh. My Dad would NEVER admit it even if he thought I was a better pitmaster than he is.

Oh man...eyes are running, must be allergies.

Wow man, that's great!

I've got nuthin like it. Best compliment I've had was a complaint that I didn't make enough.

I guess mine would be, this is not the best I have had but I think I will go back for thirds oh and if there is any left over may I take some home?

Back