butcher paper wrap newb question

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I want to try wrapping my next brisket in butcher paper but around here I am only seeing waxcoated paper and parchment paper.

I bought a role of members mark parchment from Sams. Will this work For brisket?

Feel free to lay tips on me for the cook as well. Cant try it til next weekend

baking parchment is the next best thing to butcher paper, BP is cheaper is all. It will work for brisket, in a pinch, I have used baking parchment before.

You will want to support the parchment, or use two full layers, as it is thin, and I had some problem with tearing on the paper during moving is around

One nice thing about the Member's Mark parchment (I haven't gotten uncoated butcher's yet) is that it is thinner and more malleable than any other I've used. But any brand, or kind, of paper can be made much more malleable by:

Pre-Crumpling! (wad into a ball and straiten out again once or twice)

...I got that idea from someone on these boards a little while ago, don't remember who. That was one of those moments that makes me sorry I can't kick my own ass. (All the trouble I could have saved trying to form-cram nonstick parchment and batters into baking pans.)

Yesterday I took a couple of small butts out of the smoker at a little over 150*, wrapped them in one layer of parchment to avoid a stall, and finished them indoors in the oven. Didn't see any indication that they might have been in any danger of tearing while handling, but that might have been because the paper was pre-crumpled (greater strength through flexibility). I placed each butt folded side down on a baking sheet, with a loose sheet of parchment sitting under them. That protective sheet got just slightly stained by juices from one of the "roasts," not at all by the other.

When it comes to getting torn by protruding bones, paper has got to beat the hell out of aluminum foil (but then other than lead foil, so would anything). I'm pressed to imagine a reason for using foil rather than paper for this kind of wrapping. (But I'm new to this, and may bear correcting.)

Last edited:
Back