Canopy Recommendation

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was looking through the forum for recommendations on which canopies would be best for BBQ Competitions. The last thread I found is very old, so I wanted to see if there were any new recommendations. I am looking to fill a 10x20 space with either one 10x20 canopy or 2 10x10's. Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Alan

We have used the EZ-ups 10 x 10’s from Sam’s. They are usually $199 and are built like a tank. The top canopy is screwed in place so it’s always attached and ready to be set up and they come with sides for the tents which is essential for staying out of the cold or light wind.

We went to Caravan commercial canopy’s. What I like about them is that they are modular.
If it breaks, it is relatively easy to repair. All cross members are easily replaced. We use them twice a weekend, every weekend and have for 3 years now.
We own three.
2 steel and one aluminum frame.

Caravan Canopy 10 X 10 Foot Straight Leg Display Shade Commercial Canopy, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XDV7S6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HTQNAb4MNP93D

Good thread. Just in to tag the thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Make sure it has cross bracing, not just a perimeter frame. Wind will cave in the perimeter frame. Also, if you want side walls, you will probably save $$ buying one that includes them.

We have used the EZ-ups 10 x 10’s from Sam’s. They are usually $199 and are built like a tank. The top canopy is screwed in place so it’s always attached and ready to be set up and they come with sides for the tents which is essential for staying out of the cold or light wind.

Me too. I think it's actually branded as "Z Shade" but they're well built. I did have one get tossed in a heavy wind while I was sleeping because the side walls do act like a parachute. Expect that with any canopy though. The side walls are a big advantage for blocking hot sun or wind when competing. Just make sure you anchor it down well if it'll be bad weather.

FWIW We've actually had good luck with the higher end model Ozark Trail 10x10s from Wal-mart... For $89 we have been happy with them.

Another thing to consider is if the canopy and side walls are fire rated. We have a couple of local fire depts. that like to come and inspect your canopy to make sure it has its label on the walls. If you lose one of the markings on the tent itself, you can go online and see if you can download the certification from the mfg online.

We had the expensive one from Costco for a while, but it got dirty very easily. We ended up with a 10x10 from academy sports last time, and it's lasted over 2 years at this point. It has a few holes in the corners now, and it's time to replace, but it was a great canopy for less than $100.

Let me repeat..

If a Caravan Canopy breaks or collapses, you can easily replace the cross members.

The sidewalll kits are all fire rated.

Buy it once and never buy again.

I have rebuilt one of ours twice in 3 years for a total of $56 in parts.
We vend every weekend. We see the $100 ones come and go and come and go.

One lady has replaced hers 4 times in the last 3 years. She still thinks she is getting a bargain
lol

I've used the EZUp canopy I bought from Sam's Club for the past 5 years along with the EZUp sandbag weights and have never had a problem.

Sandbag weights are 40lbs. on each leg...it's not going anywhere.

Never done competition Q, but I've seen a lot of popups go on the scrap heap over the years in youth sports.
EZ-Up, Quik-Shade, and Caravan will hold up, and their bags do too.

I agree with most everybody here stating that the higher-end canopies are going to last longer. I found mine on Craigslist. I recommend starting there.

We use 2 of these ProShades from Costco. In-store it's $199 usually and comes with 3 walls and a door panel as well. Also since it's Costco, if it breaks, just take it back.

https://m.costco.com/ProShade-10'-x-10'-Aluminum-Instant-Canopy-(Sidewalls-Sold-Separately).product.100395819.html

This is what I bought for use at competitions. As it turned out, at my first competition it was put through quite a ringer. We had high winds and severe storms roll through overnight and it held up no problem. However, the same can't be said for other teams unfortunately, there were quite a few that had their canopies destroyed and meat/cook ruined by the resulting rain.

So I give that canopy two big thumbs up for keeping me and my stuff dry and safe* :thumb: :thumb:

*as safe as you can be being underneath a metal frame in a thunderstorm :crazy:

If your budget is $100, do whatever it takes to make it 200 and buy one of the Sam's club (or from what I heard Costco has a similar) Z shade canopies with the bracing. I've had one for maybe going on year 5. I don't use it often anymore as we have a trailer with an awning now, but the fact that this canopy has lasted this long with no indications that its going to fail anytime soon is a great indicator. Love using it for camping and other "normal person things".

SD BBQ'ers Parrothead have a very heavy duty canopy. Not sure which brand/model, but I saw it survive the worst in contest weather Ive ever endured. Legs on it looked like 2" 80/20

Undercover has refurbished ones on sale right now for 189 free shipping. And you can buy each individual part from them as well. Good luck!

Back