Assassin help....

Perfect Rack BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We just did another cook and are still having so e issues. We did the biscuit test and found the hotspots but we seem to overcook everything. Not sure if maybe we have the bbq guru temp probe in the wrong spot, it's clipped on the top grate on the right side. Maybe this is an issue.
Also, what is the best way to light it. We were using a torch but not sure if that's the best or not.

We've been using a chimney, then just loading it after we dump in the hot coals. I would try placing your temp probe lower in the cooking chamber. We clip ours in the middle, and not too close to a wall.

Everyone finds their own way, on my stumps i just clip the guru to the thermo stem. I will say they do not always match, so you have to pick one to go by. If your overcooking, then lower the temp, lower the time, and check more often. Your timelines can and will change from cooker to cooker, go by feel, and look. I wrap when i like the looks, color, and its done when it feels done.

I light the cooker with a map torch or propane torch, i didnt like dumping hot coals into a shoot with my feet below.

I do not light much, then i let the guru bring it to temp.

I don't have a gravity feed cooker, so feel free to tell me to get the heck out of here, but...

I guess I don't see the correlation between placement of the guru probe and over cooking. Placement of the probe will mostly likely affect the pit temperature, but unless you are relying on the Guru to tell you when the food is done all that will affect is the cook time. Rely on feel for the big meats to tell when they are done instead and you won't over cook them. For ribs rely on the bend test or toothpick test. As mentioned above you just need to check sooner and more often until you get a feel for the pit. If the temp is consistent from cook to cook that's all that really matters.

For what it is worth I had the problem of different temperatures from side to side and determined that it was because we were applying too much air from the Guru since it went under the deflector plate and up the left side which was hotter than the right side. This is on a Rebel and now the temperatures are right on with each other. Wonderful cookers though.

Hey Chris. My name is Jeff Conley. I built your smoker. Please give me a call @ 478-785-9161. I think I can solve your heating issues. I will be in the shop around 11:30 am tomorrow. Thanks!

Good customer service there!!!!!

Figuring out a new smoker can sometimes be troublesome. You buy a new one thinking since you know how to use yours, all will be awesome to start with, but you still have to take the time and learn the new one.

Back