Don't Boil or Overheat Your Injections (With Phosphates)

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know that hot water makes dissolving injection mixtures easier, but I noticed this on the Stella Culinary Brining video.

https://www.stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page#videofour

The whole video is very educational, but the part relevant to phosphates is at about 7:20. Apparently if this is correct boiling or overheating phosphates pretty much renders them useless. Thats not to say that the injection is completely useless. It won't affect flavor. Its the moisture retention properties of the phosphates that are "killed".

And hey this is just one source, but I figured I would pass it along for what its worth.

Last edited:
I know that hot water makes dissolving injection mixtures easier, but I noticed this on the Stella Culinary Brining video.

https://www.stellaculinary.com/podcasts/video/the-science-behind-brining-resource-page#videofour

The whole video is very educational, but the part relevant to phosphates is at about 7:20. Apparently if this is correct boiling or overheating phosphates pretty much renders them useless. Thats not to say that the injection is completely useless. It won't affect flavor. Its the moisture retention properties of the phosphates that are "killed".

And hey this is just one source, but I figured I would pass it along for what its worth.

I usually don't, but thanks for the info

Good thing I'm too lazy to do any of that!
I just give it a shake and it's ready to go!

I guess there aren't really many folks who would boil their injections. I make my own by boiling spices and other things and adding phosphates to the mixture. From now on I will wait until the mixture has cooled significantly before adding them.

I just use warm water, and mix it up inside a french press coffee maker. Traps most of the particulate in the screen. Thanks for the heads up though!

I don't boil my injection either but this is good to know info.... in case anybody I know decides to step out of line :wink:

Back