Lets try it in this section (memphis in may ?'s)

grindstaff3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I posted ths in the Q-talk section and struck out, so maybe I should have re thought my section decision. A few of us are wanting to goto memphis for the bbq contest. Has anyone been there? (dumb question) Do you have any tips for first timers? Where should we stay? We would like to keep the room rate reasonable. Just trying to get any info I can

Thanks
Paul

SmokeInDaEye has been there several times.

I'm sure he'll chime in when he sees this as well as some others.

GridIronGrillers lives in Memphis so he should be able to steer you to a good hotel. RBinMS would be another good one to ask this ? since he lives just south of Memphis.

Yeah, there's a few good hotels downtown. Not sure about the rates but that's your best bet since it is an easy walk to the contest, Beale Street, etc. Always a good time, though plan on bringing extra shoes and/or rain boots since more often then not they get big rain and the riverfront turns to a mud pit.

Another tip is to plan on getting there by Thursday the 14. That night is the biggest for parties, though you'll want to try to make some friends early in the day so you can get invites to some of the bigger private bashes. There are smaller parties Friday but that when the whole hog teams and shoulder teams are ramping up for the contest.

Downtown hotels a very pricey and could well be full by now although there are indications that the contest will be much smaller this year. Check the motels in West Memphis, AR. for more reasonable rates. It is just across the bridge.

Check out the Motel 6 near 240/Union. It is close to Beale street. My wife has stayed their when she was in Memphis with her mom in the Hospital. Checked their website and they have rooms still available for $55.99 a night. My two cents!

Motel 6 Memphis Downtown #1499
210 South Pauline Street
I-240 at Union Avenue/Madison Avenue, Exit #30
Memphis, TN, 38104
Phone: (901) 528-0650 | Fax: (901) 528-0659

Just remember that if you go to Beale Street, which is a fantastic place, take a padded wallet with you. A lot of money can be spent in a very short time there! ( Or so I am told!) :icon_blush:

Back