To Toss or Not To Toss This Brisket

bigspur

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I put a brisket on my WSM last night around 10, had a few and went to bed at 2 am while the smoker was cruising at around 250 with the assistance of my Pitmaster IQ 110. But as I went to bed, perhaps aided by the beverages I consumed, I turned off the power strip that was juicing the IQ 110.

When I woke up this morning at 8, the WSM was at 79 and the internal temp of the brisket was at 110. I don't know what it was when I went to bed. It was freezing last night, in the 20s.

Do I toss or not toss? Of course I invited half the neighborhood to come over this afternoon to feast on brisket. I'd prefer to serve it, but obviously do not want to get everyone sick.

Personally, I wouldn't toss it, but I wouldn't serve it to the neighborhood either.

You'll get a wide range of opinions of this, so you'll ultimately have to decide what you are comfortable with.

Since you have no idea how long it was in the dander zone, I would toss it and go buy something else to cook for the neighbors. You may be able to get another brisket or a couple of butts and do a hot and fast cook in time. Meat is cheap compared to doctors.

In this case, I think I would feed it to the cats.
Like Ron said, Meat's cheaper than doctors.

I'd toss it. Grab something else and go hot & fast (275-325 degrees)

No right answer except for the one you are comfortable with. The fact that you asked means that you are worried. I would not throw it away, but that is just me. I'd be making some chili (all for myself of course since I wouldn't let anyone else eat it).

Thanks for the opinions, folks. I'm tossing it and heading to the grocery store for some spare ribs and chicken wings.

Thanks for the opinions, folks. I'm tossing it and heading to the grocery store for some spare ribs and chicken wings.

Good idea. Just so you know you could probably cook a brisket hot n fast the same time spare ribs would could. Good luck!

Yep, good choice. I wouldn't take the chance, but then again I'm not much of a risk taker either.

If you don't have a Maverick with pit and food alarms i'd highly recommend one.

Something I don't understand. Let's say the brisket had developed something by staying too long between 40 - 140. Doesn't cooking it above 140 destroy the bug? For instance, I believe Salmonella is killed by heating it to 131f.

It depends on the neighbor, my old next door neighbor I would feed that to everyday! Seriously though this is an excerpt from the FDA Guidelines. If you reheat here is the rule.

"In the event that a cooling deviation does occur, the product may often be salvaged if the results of computer modeling or sampling can ensure product safety. Because of a lack of information concerning the distribution of C. perfringens in product, sampling may not be the best recourse for determining the disposition of product following cooling deviations. However, computer modeling can be a useful tool in assessing the severity of a cooling deviation. While computer modeling cannot provide an exact determination of the possible amount clostridial growth, it can provide a useful estimate.

A technical document (available from the FSIS Docket Room) provides description of the calculations that are used to estimate relative growth.

With careful continuous monitoring of the heating and cooling time/temperature profile of each lot, there will always be many available data points, enhancing the accuracy of computer modeling. Conversely, when there are few documented time/temperature data points, the accuracy of the modeling decreases markedly. If time/temperature monitoring has not been conducted through the end point internal product temperatures of 40° F or less, sampling is not an option and the product should be destroyed.
Options after computer determination of cooling deviation severity.
If computer modeling suggests that the cooling deviation would likely result in more than one log increase in C. perfringens, without any multiplication (remains in lag phase) of C. botulinum, then the establishment can choose to recook or sample the product.

Recook only when:
All product was either immediately refrigerated after the deviation or can be immediately recooked after the deviation; and
The recooking procedure can achieve a final internal product temperature of at least 149°F (65°C) for two minutes. Subsequent to recooking, the product must be cooled in strict conformance to existing guidelines. When the product is to be reworked with another raw product, the recooking procedure for the combined product must achieve a minimum internal temperature of 149°F, to address the cooling deviation, and further to an increased time\temperature if necessary to be in accord with any other requirement relative to microbiological safety for the intended final product. Subsequent to recooking, the product must be cooled in strict conformance to existing guidelines.

Something I don't understand. Let's say the brisket had developed something by staying too long between 40 - 140. Doesn't cooking it above 140 destroy the bug? For instance, I believe Salmonella is killed by heating it to 131f.

Exactly. If you would throw out this piece of meat, then in in theory no piece of meat could ever be safe.

If you cook low and slow, ANY brisket or butt is going to spend many hours between 40-140 degrees, but cooking to 195-205 it is going to spend many hours about the temp where bacteria can survive.

This convo has come up many times across several forums; have not seen a single thread where someone has gotten sick.

The rule of thumb is 4 hours between 40* and 140* but beef is less prone to problems then say pork or poultry. Also if you have a whole intact muscle that hasn't been probed chances are you would have been ok....That's why many people don't probe early.

The FDA did change the rule to 135* vs 140.

It's beef.. I wouldn't toss it. Eat that bad boy.

Pork or chicken, I'd toss it. That's just me :)

I was thinking the same thing as Vision. But there's a reason we have the saying "better safe than sorry"

Back