Ribs leftover, what to do?

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I went to our new Restaurant Depo on Saturday and couldn't resist buying a cryovaced pack of St.Louis Ribs. They were packed 3 racks per bag. They were labeled as frozen but the price was too good to resist. I smoked them the other night and only ate 1 rack. I have to do something with the leftovers today. I was thinking about making a pot of chili from them. They are not sauced. Can they be frozen and thawed again, without tasting like chit? Food safety wise I know it's ok to freeze them, but I don't know how they hold up to thawing again. Any thoughts, experience, ideas, etc. I know that it's a sin to have left over ribs, so I will due my penance after I figure out what to do with these babies.

Thanks,
Jed

We freeze ribs all of the time. I use my Foodsaver and the roll material and make a bag long enough to hold a full rack, vac-u-suck and freeze. You can then reheat them in boiling water, in the oven or in the smoker. grill.

As fas as using the leftovers now, I've put the meat into a pot of beans before and used it like pulled pork in enchiladas, pizzas, etc. I have tried using left over pulled pork in chili and didn't like the texture. I suspect ribs may be the same, but it's work a try.

Whenever I do spare ribs (I usually do the whole thing and don't St. Louis them). I am left over with the sternum or a few riblets, etc. I stick them in the freezer and then when I make spaghetti sauce (ragu) I throw the ribs pieces in, bone and all.

Simmer this for hours and you will have a sauce that is got an incredible depth of flavor and a smoky undercurrent. Also, those rib meat pieces will just disintegrate into your sauce giving it little tiny pieces of smoky pork throughout. As well, the bones will give your sauce great body.

Let it go for a few hours at a simmer, then when the bones start to almost look "bendy" and getting translucent (they are breaking down and the collagen is tuning into gelatin) give it a taste. If it is to your liking fish out the bones and enjoy. You will never be able to eat ragu without doing this again.

If you have a vacuum sealer you can do that and freeze them. Or you can wrap in plastic wrap, then wrap in foil and freeze. Bring them up to temperature gently by putting in an oven at a low temperature (I do 275 degrees until they are warm all the way through)

I'd eat 'em cold just like left over fried Chicken.... hey there ya go deep fry 'em. If you never had a Deep fried rib I equate it to discovering what wimen are really good for and some are really good at.

I'd eat 'em cold just like left over fried Chicken.... hey there ya go deep fry 'em. If you never had a Deep fried rib I equate it to discovering what wimen are really good for and some are really good at.

I have never had this. Are they breaded or just tossed in the oil or what?

I've been dicing up leftover rib meat to use in place of bacon or sausage in my omelets. Tastes great.

My wife and I smoke three racks all the time for the two of us. They never last more than two days. We eat them cold right out of the fridge.

every try eating 2 at a time?:wink:

I usually will freeze a rack of ribs wrapped in heavy foil. Then let it thaw in the refrigerator and put it in the oven at 225 and let them warm up for about an hour. They might be a little overdone but they still taste great.

Back