logo

WSM BBQ Guru Adapter Mod (pr0n)

BobM

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got a BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi for Christmas.
The manufacturer recommends installing the adapter through a vent hole. I decided to mount the adapter in a separate hole. I can then use the ATC on either of my WSMs. If I choose not to use the ATC, I can just leave the kill plug in the adapter and all the stock vents are fully functional.

I bought an extra WSM adapter and kill plug when I ordered my CyberQ WiFi.

WSM vent holes are 3/4", the WSM adapter is 1 1/4" ID. I have a 7/8" hole saw, and decided to use it. 7/8" is also a good choice because it is 1/2" trade size for electrical fittings. If I ever want to blank up the hole, a 1/2" electrical knockout (KO) seal will cover it right up.

I put blue tape over the hole drilling area and marked it out. I drilled a 1/4" pilot hole, then used my 7/8" hole saw. I did my 18 1/2" WSM first, then the 22 1/2".

7/8" hole drilled half way between the left leg and vent (it will be directly below my probe grommet).
cyberqwifiadapter01.jpg

Adapter installed (outside).
cyberqwifiadapter02.jpg

Adapter installed (inside).
cyberqwifiadapter03.jpg

Adapter side view.
cyberqwifiadapter04.jpg

Fan installed.
cyberqwifiadapter05.jpg

Kill plug installed.
cyberqwifiadapter06.jpg

18 1/2" inside grate view.
cyberqwifiadapter07.jpg

22 1/2" side view.
cyberqwifiadapter09.jpg

Both WSMs, also showing the probe grommet directly above, and the thermometer mod.
cyberqwifiadapter10.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Awesome idea! I like how you give yourself options. I'm also interested to hear our reviews on cooking high & low temp (especially the 22) with the guru. Got my eye on one!

Great pics, thanx for posting.

Ps, can you show a pic of how you run the probes? Also, I'm diggin' the thermo that you mounted at the top grill. What brand/model thermo dd you go with on that?

Nice job! I bought a couple extra WSM adapters to install on my Performer and Cajun Bandit. Kill plug/Guru'd or vents-the way to go!

I thought about that but there is almost no temp I cant get with 2 fully functioning vents. when my 22 gets dialed in, 1 vent 1/2 open holds 240-250 pretty easily. Dont lose your plugs! I figured they were a 50 cent part but Guru charges 5 bucks for them

Back