Smoking with peach wood?

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I happened to be down in San Diego for work, and found a website for Olson's firewood. They sold lots of fruitwood, so I stopped by and picked up a 40 lb bag of apple and 40 lb bag of peach for $60.

I've pretty much only used apple for smoking but decided to try some peach after watching Myron Mixon on BBQ Pitmasters. Anyone ever use peach wood? Should I soak it in water, or just toss it on dry? I know it's a mild sweet flavor, but I was just curious what others have thought of it.

Thanks

I'd love to try some peach but can't find it around here. There are a lot of peach orchards in South Carolina and Georgia though.. I might have to stop by one this summer and get some peaches and ask if I can have some wood too...

I've read (and Mr. Mixon I believe verified this), that peach is better when not totally seasoned (dried out). Mine looks seasoned....hmmm

I love, love, love peach. Works with everything I've tried it on.

I love, love, love peach. Works with everything I've tried it on.

That makes me feel better...I'm going to try it out on a few racks of spares this weekend. My wife and friends will be my guinea pigs (no pun intended)

I just did a BBQ for a large group of people last sunday and used Peach for the first time I loved the flavor and will use it again. I am sure you will like it.

I have a friend that live in ATL and they came a couple of weeks ago and he brought me to big bags of Peach chips that a neighbor of his does. I smoked a couple of butts using it and the flavor was really mild and sweet, I really like all types of fruit woods. Peach will be great on those ribs!

I didn't soak these chips as I used the egg and I mix in the chips with the lumps for a 12 hour cook and I use my stoker so I don't open it at all.

Good Luck.....

I use Peach chunks for pork and chicken. Great flavor. There is no need to soak the chunks. We are SMOKING meat, not steaming it! (Well hopefully anyway :)
That plus the water will not get into the wood very much at all. Once the cells have dried out from seasoning, they will not accept any water from the soak.

We are SMOKING meat, not steaming it!

There is certainly much a major argument to be made about this statement. Anyone that uses and believes in H20 smokers (e.g. Myron Mixon) wwill tell you that a controlled water source (creating steam) inside your smoker helps to tenderize the meat.

I also know many people feel otherwise too.

DISCLAIMER: Not saying either way is right or wrong - just playing devils advocate.

Think pecan, but a little sweeter. I ordered a couple of sacks of peach chunks from Fruitawood and have been very impressed with it, especially on pork.

I've read (and Mr. Mixon I believe verified this), that peach is better when not totally seasoned (dried out). Mine looks seasoned....hmmm

I would never speak for Myron, but I was told that he actually uses it fairly green. maybe someone who has been to his class can verify

I'm going to have to try this peach wood thing, sounds like a lot of folks have had success with it. I just can't seem to pull myself away from apple w/ just a bit of hickory for pork smokes. Sounds like peach is a winner though.

No one reputable smokes with peach wood. Matter of fact, it can be toxic. You'll want someone professionally trained in peach wood removal to take that off your hands. I'll be glad to do so if you need it. Actually, I see now that you're in California. You'll have to ship it to me so that I can dispose of it properly. Sorry.

Seriously though, don't soak it. If it's green, fine, if it's not, fine.

^^^ Peach and pecan is plentiful in our neck of the woods and man, is it good! :becky: IMHO, I do not soak as my goal is always a small, clean burning fire which means preheating the wood.

Peach is great, no soaking needed imho.
Brian of Ma's Que Crew had a bunch of peach a couple years ago and shared some with me; it was great, especially on ribs and pork butts.

I'm waiting on my new Peoria and I will def throw some peach in it.

As mentioned Peach is one of the few that's ok or even better on the more green side of drying. Love the stuff. As with most flavor woods it might be too strong to use strictly for heat. Better on top of oak or charcoal coals. Steve.

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding fruitwoods. I've always used "wild apple" or wild black cherry". If you are getting fruitwood from and orchard and they have repeatedly sprayed fungicides/pesticides on it over it's useful life, is there any inherent danger in using this wood for smoking?? Their is a peach orchard , down the road from me at the lake, and they sell wood but I've been hesitant about using it for that reason.

thoughts???

Back