New Guy and a new pit build...

Okay, welding is coming along........meaning I can get metal to stick together....lol

Hinges are on, and tomorrow I will finish the cut out of the door.

grill5.jpg

Both hinges on and grind down..

grill4.jpg

Oh and my hinges were recycled from my gate I fixed 2 years ago...I knew I could use them for something one day!

Okay got the right and left seals on and the door cut out. I still need to weld the bottom seal on the door, ran out of sun light and pulled it in the garage. The best part is I still get to do this again for the vertical chamber...what was I thinking ....lol....

grill6.jpg

Now for the first opening.....

grill7.jpg

I still need to weld the seal on the inside of the drum under the hinges to make that nice and tight....

grill8.jpg

Door opened and no warping!

grill9.jpg

Thanks for looking...more to come.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and I have to go find some scrap metal to build the frame for the stand and the grates...back to search mode....any ideas fro the best places to look or ask?

Dude, I'm stoked to watch this thread. I've got a 35 gallon that I'm going to make into a grill, but due to my lack of a welder or welding skills has been a slow go. Hopefully you inspire me!

Matt

I was in the same boat....went and bought a 120 arc welder and it works pretty good. My welding is coming along, far from good, but I am learning. Good luck with your build!

>>John

Not sure if anyone is following anymore...but I got the bottom seal on and put what I think is a cool handle on.

grill10.jpg

Oh and I have to go find some scrap metal to build the frame for the stand and the grates...back to search mode....any ideas fro the best places to look or ask?

Look up metal recyclers in your area. I have found several around here. They usually don't have exactly what you are looking for, but usually you can find something and make it work. I have also had luck on CL searching in the materials section for whatever I was looking for.

I have now found a steel supplier close to where I work that sells new stuff for under a buck a pound right now, and drops for a little cheaper. For this price, they will cut it to size for me and if I'm in a hurry I will go this route as it eliminates the searching.

Look up metal recyclers in your area. I have found several around here. They usually don't have exactly what you are looking for, but usually you can find something and make it work. I have also had luck on CL searching in the materials section for whatever I was looking for.

I have now found a steel supplier close to where I work that sells new stuff for under a buck a pound right now, and drops for a little cheaper. For this price, they will cut it to size for me and if I'm in a hurry I will go this route as it eliminates the searching.

Thanks dodgeramsst2003, I did find a metal recycler not far from me....I will check them out...

I checked your build out from your link in your signature, very nice. Any pointers are welcome!!!:thumb:

>>John

looks like a winner. making the vertical chamber out of a tank will be very challenging, even for an experienced welder.

Okay, cutting the door out of the vertical tank. I got the hinges tacked on there. I have a lot more work to do!

virtical.jpg

Looking good so far!
I enjoy the pictorial of your build.

Thanks bbqbull, it is fun learning along the way. I have got many good ideas from this site that have saved me many headaches so far. Thanks bbq brethren!!:clap2:

I am inspired watching your progress.... I makes me want to learn how to weld and I have aspirations of builging my own smoker one of these days.... Thanks for the pics!

I am inspired watching your progress.... I makes me want to learn how to weld and I have aspirations of builging my own smoker one of these days.... Thanks for the pics!

Glad to hear, I purchased a 120/220 arch welder and have been learning trial by fire. I give welders their respect because it is not easy, but I think one can learn enough to build something like this...it's what I am doing. Take the plunge it is a blast. I am looking forward to cooking in this!!

Back